2007 Suzuki XL7 - shorted while I was changing the oil

In process of turning wrench on filter, the tool made contact w/ a large gauge bare wire from starter / to alternator and shorted something. A week later, I am still trying to diagnose and repair. After recommendations from local mechanics, I’ve had the battery, alternator, starter, ignition switch replaced and all fuses checked out. Unfortunately, the Suzuki dealership in our area is went out of business and the closest one is two hours away.

Anyone out there ever have a similar situation? Any other diagnostic suggestions? I am stumped as are our local reputable mechanics.

Thanks in advance.

Sheesh, the term “mechanic” is being used rather liberally here. I would suspect none of those things to have been damaged other than possibly the battery which could be easily checked. More than likely, you fried a fusible link. This is a special wire that acts as a fuse for high current loads. It looks like a normal wire to the uninitiated. A real mechanic should have found that in minutes…

So exactly what is it you want from us? You shorted something out and are replacing a bunch of parts, but we have no idea why you are changing all these parts. You haven’t told us what the problem is. What are you trying to diagnose and repair and why?

If the charging system is not funtioning test for power at the alternator cable post with the engine off. There should be battery voltage ~ 12. volts.

There is an inline 200 amp fuse in the cable between the alternator and starter.

I think we should just wait for the OP to get back and tell us???

Does it start…if it does is it charging…

I presume he just called a shop for info. But none told him that the parts that they suggested for replacement…could be tested first.
So he just threw money out the window.

I’m goin to go check the ditch now!!!

Yosemite

Well?

If you created spark when this happened, this is basically trying to weld on the vehicle with an electric welder. And this can’t be done unless you do something to protect the electronics in the vehicle.

Those of us who actually weld on newer vehicles connect this to the battery.

http://www.autobodytoolmart.com/otc-antizap-auto-surge-protector-3386-p-18504.aspx?gclid=CMq014qexr8CFYZaMgodHkAA3A

What this does is it clips the high voltage/current created when the arc is struck from the welder.

If this isn’t used, or if the battery isn’t at least disconnected, that arc struck can damage computers, modules, and even the fuel pump.

Unless you have the proper scanners and equipment, you may never find what got fried.

Tester