2007 Saturn Ion a little flakey?

I have a 2007 Ion that I like a lot. It has started doing a couple of odd things, however.

Three times now the check engine light has come on, but only stayed on for a day or two, then goes off by itself. Also, one time the indicator came on for Coolant Level, but it looked fine when I checked it.

I had the thought that perhaps it needed a new air filter, but evidently you can’t buy them on the open market yet.

I only have a little over 18,000 miles on it.

I appreciate any thoughts.

I just checked on line and it appears the air filters are available. If you can’t find on at the parts store pick one up at the dealer or on-line

At 18,000 miles I hope you have done maintenance on it by now. Check the owner’s manual to find out what is needed when.

That CEL (check engine light) is just a kid in class waving her hand trying to get you attention because she has the answer. You need to have the codes read. Some places will read them for FREE. Try Autozone or Advanced Auto Parts. Get the exact code (like P0123) not just their translation into English and post it back here.

Regarding warning lights:

1. if the coolant temp light comes on, shut off the engine ASAP

2. if the oil warning light comes on, shut off the engine ASAP

3. if a FLASHING MIL/CEL comes on, shut off the engine ASAP

ASAP means driving to the berm of the highway right now and not waiting for the next exit.

But if the MIL/CEL is not flashing, then it’s not an urgent indicator.

have a 1997 saturn SL-1 and have had the same problem with the Check Engine light. after a few investigations, i realized it was just a sort of glitch and never signaled any problem - as long as it went off in a couple of days. sometimes it will do so if you just shut the engine off for about a minute.

Surely a 2007 vehicle with only 18,000 miles on the odometer is under warranty. So, I suggest that you take it back to the dealership regarding the CEL issue.

And, as was suggested, be sure that you are up to date with maintenance. If not, you can have this taken care of while at the dealership. Just be sure to go by the manufacturer’s maintenance schedule that is in your glove compartment, rather than the sometimes fantastical lists of maintenance procedures that dealerships are prone to push on you.