2007 Rav 4 periodically won't start

For a few months now, every once in a while my Rav 4 just won’t start–no lights come on, nothing. After I turn the key over and over for a while, about 10 minutes, it finally does start. The car is still under warranty and I have brought it to the dealership three times for this problem, but they have not been able to replicate it there and have found nothing wrong. It just happened again today and am at wit’s end. What do I do? Even took it to an independent garage that found nothing.

Does it turn over and fail to start, or not turn over at all? How many miles? Toyota starters are known to have their solenoid contacts wear, causing this behavior, but yours is kind of new for that.

It doesn’t turn over at all. The car only has about 26,000 miles on it. We bought it new at the end of 2007. The dealership basically says there is nothing they can do if they can’t replicate the problem. They won’t replace the starter since they say there is nothing wrong with it when they check it at the dealership.

Does this vehicle have a Remote Start system?
I ask because my friend had this exact symptom (as well as some other bizarre problems) with his 2008 Rav-4 , and it was finally traced to improper installation/programming of the remote start system.

Only by firing the first shot in a Lemon Law case was I able to get them to sit up and take notice and to rectify the problem.

When this occurs, try starting the Rav4 in Neutral. I had a 95 Dakota that occasionally would not starting in Park. The Neutral Safety switch was out of adjustment and would prevent the truck from starting in Park, but would start right up in Neutral.

Ed B.