2007 Mazda CX-9 - Problems after head gasket replacement

I had a gasket replaced recently and since then my vehicle has been experiencing the issue below>

The auto starts fine, and idles fine.

After you take off, about 5 to 10 minutes later, the oil light with illuminate and the vehicle will lose power and could cut off.

If the auto cuts off, after about 3-5 minutes, you can restart the auto and it will run okay (with no oil light indication) for another 5 to 10 minutes. This will allow you to limp gingerly back home.

My mechanic has looked at the auto and indicates he can not fine the source of the problem.

Needless to say, I have loss confidence in the vehicle and the auto has be parked for the last month.

I hope you have some ideas.

Thanks

Cheap step 1. Change oil pressure sensor.
Oil light comes on again? You may have low oil pressure.

1 Like

Did your mechanic measure the oil pressure using their shop gauge when this problem is occurring? If not, suggest to do that as the next step.

1 Like

Did any coolant mix with the engine oil from the leaking head gasket?

And if so, how long did you operate the vehicle with coolant in the oil?

Tester

3 Likes

Someone is going to have to use an oil pressure gauge (as already stated) to see what the oil pressure is doing, If the oil pressure is dropping, then the engine oil pan needs to be dropped and the oil pump pickup screen needs to be checked for anything stopping oil flow as well as slug in the pan… May need to remove a couple rod bearings and main bearing caps to check if any damage to the bearings and or turning blue from heat, also check clearance while there,… As Tester was getting at coolant is not a very good lubricant and can wash out the bearings… If everything looks good with the pan drop then your oil pump may need to be replaced… If any damage to the rod/main bearings or even sludge stopping the oil pump pick up screen, then you probable need to do a dry/wet compression test to make sure you didn’t wash the cylinders down also…

Does the engine make a noise (screeching) as it stalls out??
How does it sound when trying to start if you try to start right after it stalls out??
Does it crank over normal and not start or just a loud click??

Sound like your mechanic is qualified enough and you should find another mechanic that knows how to properly diagnose vehicles…

Hopefully you just have a bad sensor and not major engine damage…

2 Likes