2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited - Low miles Needs $2200 in repairs

Here’s my dilemma - I have a 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited with 64k miles. Dealer informed me today that it needs $2200 in repairs -replace front differential bushings, rear axle leak, possible replacement of rotors needed, tire sensors leaking. Total for repair is $2,200. My dilemma is - it’s a 7 year old car. Is it worth repairing and keeping or is it time for a new car? I still have a car payment (was a lease, that I bought) for another 2.5 years.

Get a second opinion from an independent mechanic. Even if the mechanic agrees with the dealer for all the repairs, his estimate will be lower.

remember that the dealer makes his living by selling new cars, they are not objective

With only 64k miles I’ll bet most or all of that work is unnecessary. Go elsewhere.

As mentioned above, the dealer has a conflict of interest in a situation like this. Especially when a vehicle is out of warranty, it’s always a good idea to seek out the opinion of a well-recommended inde shop. If the second estimate still comes to $2200, and I thought that spending that amount would bring the vehicle to a condition where nothing but routine maintenance and minor repairs would be needed for at least two years or so, I’d spend the $2200 and get it fixed. Think about it this way: How many months of new car payments would it take to total $2200?

I have NEVER replaced front differential bushings on any vehicle. It seems odd that yours would need them. Where is the rear axle leaking? How bad? Enough to require addition of grease weekly? Monthly? Annually? Ever? Tire sensor leaks are usually the seals, not the sensors themselves. It involves a little more labor than patching a tire, but not much. The last time I had to have one fixed, it was $20 out the door at a local tire shop.

Definitely get a second opinion from a reputable indy shop that you find by clicking on the MECHANICS FILES link at the top of this page. Very few independent shops are paying for multi million dollar facilities with inflated labor rates. They are also not interested it scaring you into buying a new Jeep that you don’t really need.

DEFINITELY get a second opinion from an independently owned and operated shop.
I have never seen an older vehicle assessed by a dealer shop without “needing” at least $2000 worth of work… and 90% of it isn’t really needed. Dealerships keep themselves afloat this way.