2007 Honda Hybrid no longer a hybrid

Mike, Agreed… Did you hear that Jeep is going to put the Dsl back into the GrandCherokee?? They just said so today !

My only issue is that last time they did this, it still only got 22MPG… This hardly seems worth it, I would like to see it in the 30MPG+ range (keeping in mind a CRV gets 31 now)

I would love to buy a diesel car. But after being one of the main trade-in mechanics at the dealership I worked at…I have decided against VW…which is really the only option. I will never own a German car. Every brand of german made cars have their own special tools and are a royal pain is the ass to work on.

Triedaq is a good candidate for a diesel car. It would fit his personality–it makes a lot of noise and a big stink, but doesn’t move very fast. That’s Triedaq.

Mrs. Triedaq

The new 2012 Passat TDI has gotten good reviews from the auto press, and is Motor Trend’s Car of the Year. It’s rated for 43 mpg highway, but one owner drove it from Seattle to San Fran, over 800 miles, on a single tank of diesel with 2 gal left over, and got 55 mpg average. That is damned impressive. Plus, it was designed specifically for the US market, does NOT use urea, and is built in TN.

Hi All,

I fail to see how much of this relates to the thread I started. I don’t mean to squelch here but I am not in the market to buy a Lexis LS 600 hl, I do not have a diesel, nor am I moviing to South America to buy a car. The relevancy of those comments with respect to my problem is close to zero.

What is interesting is blejosw comment: "The amount of polution created from making just one of those big battery packs…When hybrids first came out the general rule was you had to drive the hybrid for 20 years before it would start “out performing” the gasoline car in polution output. " What they are actually talking about is a Life Cycle Assessment (LCA) which calculates the emissions created during production and use of the vehicle and comparing it to the same for a regular car. I’ve never seen one done on any vehicles but I suppose someone has done them. While interesting in and of itself, this also is not terribly relevant to the thread.

Ultimately, you have to decide if it is worthwhile. If you are the type of person that wants equipment to function as intended, then go ahead and have the Honda repaired. My wife would vote for this option. However, if you can live with the car the way it is, and it gets you where you are going, albeit more expensively, then leave it alone. I would probably have it fixed because I grew up with equipment that never quite worked right, but did function. I think my wife’s approach to keeping everything functioning as it should is the way to go.

I am going to repost I previous comment as it may have got lost in the shuffle.

"As a side note your car is not “DE-HYBRID’ized”… Its just not stoping at stop lights from what you said, if the battery was not getting charged another way, the car would be VERY sliggish… I have driven Insights with low hybrid batterys and they actually shut off the assist while the battery re-charges. I can tell you its a HUGE differance in performance.

WIth that said, my only concern would be for the battery pack, and its longevity. If its not beting charged properly it may die sooner then later and at that point your car is DEAD… The hybrid battery is need to start the motor (there is no starter in the traditional sence)… With out it your not going any where and fast. "

Have you tried to find a used part off a wrecked car?? I would try www.car-parts.com or one of the MANY Civic forums online…

There are tons of Civic hybrids in the scrapyards. I would be all over getting a used one.

Yep, my math was the same as Mike’s which might explain why you went for the hybrid in the first place. 218,000 miles to go for payback on this repair, assumming no more additional excess expenses. Drive happy.