2007 Honda CR-V - Oil change by time or by the meter?

I own a 2007 Honda CR-V wit 80,000 miles. I don’t drive much, about 6,000 miles a year.
Do I need to change oil (full synthetic ) once a year, or should I wait for the oil life percentage readout to reach 0%?

Change it at least once a year.

2 Likes

Agree with @davepsinbox_157004… once a year.

1 Like

Thanks for the advice

Thanks, will do.

Agree with once a year recommendation. It is also written so in your owner’s manual.

2 Likes

Your owners manual will give you Honda’s advice, but now that the warranty is expired you only have to satisfy yourself.

My dad’s 2007 CRV had it’s oil changed once a year at the dealer and he at most averaged 5,000 miles a year. The dealer’s oil change special was actually cheaper than our mechanic. You just had to watch out for the upsell. The 2019 is being maintained on the same schedule.

Upsell is right, I just got a call from my daughter whose 2015 Rav4 was at the dealer for an oil change. She has 22000 miles on it.they wanted to sell her the following. Air and cabin filters, coolant flush, transmission flush, engine oil treated with some magical cleaner and flush, fuel induction cleaning, brake fluid flush and driveline service, what ever that is. Way over $1000. The thing is, the car doesn’t have all short trip driving. the mileage is so low because she works from home.At least half of her trips are at least 20 miles away.

She has always change air and cabin filters herself, Toyota says the coolant is 10 years and 100,000 miles, she doesn’t need an engine flush, the full synthetic oil gets changed once a year at 4 to5 thousand miles. I told her to get her brake fluid flushed when she gets her first brake job, and she and I have always changed tranny fluid at 60,000 miles and neither of us have ever lost a transmission.

I almost forgot, they wanted to flush her power steering fluid too and when she asked what the driveline service was , it turned out just inspecting them.

She took out her owners manual and told them, if it is not in here, don’t do it.

2 Likes

That’s the same kind of stuff they tried to sell me while my ES300 was under warranty. I found a good independent shop at that point.

I would have gone for the brake fluid flush.
I do it every 3 years. But that’s just me.
Did my 2017 Tucson a couple months ago.
Old fluid looked like apple juice.

In 1976, I bought a 1960 Falcon that had been a “Grandma car”. It had been driven less than 20k miles in 16 years, but the old woman who was selling it had a pile of service invoices confirming that it had been serviced once each year. When I took it to my mechanic, he gave it a clean bill of health–except for the brake fluid. That fluid contained almost as much water as it contained brake fluid.

What engine/tranny did that Falcon have?

1 Like

There was only one engine available for that model in 1960, IIRC.
Mine had a 90 hp straight six and 2-speed Fordomatic.
It was fairly economical, but its acceleration was… glacial.

Sorry for the late response.
In the 1970’s I lived in south Jersey. I had a mechanic that was a retired GM service manager. He had a four bay shop behind his house & worked with his son. He was as honest as the day is long.
I’d leave my car at his garage at night with a slip of paper detailing what I wanted, or explaining my problem. I’d also leave a signed blank check.
He never disappointed or overcharged me.

I was gonna say the filters at 20,000 but I see she does it herself like I do. Still they’re $70. The only thing is I do the trans along with the differential and transfer case at 30,000 intervals. Why? Because they are known problems and expensive. It’s about $200 at the dealer.

1 Like