2007 Honda Civic keep or sell?

Hello, I am new to this forum. I have a 2007 Honda Civic Hybrid with 175K miles. It has 2 broken engine mounts and I unfortunately found this out just three months after making a lot of fixes (radiator, transmission mount, thermostat, and a couple of hoses). I am debating whether to sell it (and if so, privately or by trade-in) or fix it. Suffice to say I feel like an idiot for doing all that work in the summer and I should have moved on to a new car then!

It will cost somewhere between $700-900 to fix the mounts (I haven’t totally shopped around, but this based on 2 estimates).

I am looking at a certified pre-owned Camry which is so appealing and had I not done all the repairs in the summer this would be a no-brainer. But I was sent into panic mode and went with the dealer’s recommendations, and the large sum spent compels me to fix it and keep it (but I’m concerned some other big problem will pop up soon).

I know that driving with the broken engine mounts could do damage to other parts of the car. I know I have to decide soon.

Current average KBB values: $2853 private, $990 trade-in. I have never sold a car privately before, and I have a current trade-in offer of $1200.

The money that you spent recently is called a “sunk cost”. It’s in the past; you can’t do anything about it.

Replacing the engine mounts is still far less than the value of the car. Shop around; those sound like dealer prices, and you have no reason to take this car to the dealer for the repairs.

Does the Civic still met your needs? Is it otherwise in good shape? If so… I don’t see why you’re looking to get rid of it.

“Big problems” can pop up with any car. All things being equal, it’s usually a better idea to stick with the car you have rather than panic and dive into a new to you car that may have just as many known (or unknown) issues.

Good luck.

2 Likes

you have a 11yr old, $3k car?
a 2-3 yr old camry is better. lower odds of failures.

Thanks so much for the reply. Does it still meet my needs? Absolutely. A new (used) car would have certain features mine does not have, like the rear view back up camera which is awesome, and it’s far more comfy and nice-looking, but in terms of it getting me around, yes it does. It actually got me all the way around the country on a 12,000 mile road trip. That was about a year ago.

With the last oil change (when I was notified of the mounts), everything else checked out fine. When I got all that work done in the summer, they supposed it could go another 3-4 years. I don’t know if I even want it that long, but certainly at that point I imagined keeping it longer than 4 months. I’m very torn about this but your feedback definitely helps so thanks again.

you have a 11yr old, $3k car? and are looking at a much newer certified camry so i assume it is 2yrs old? maybe $15k? more? you have repairs done on an old car at dealer so they know you are locked in. whatever they recommend for service is an easy sell.

–You are correct on these questions; to be exact the Camry was a 2015 for $17K (others in that neighborhood of years and mileage or similarly priced; the LE is cheaper). I do feel I was snookered by the dealer. Especially I’m wondering when they did all that other work could the engine mounts really have been in fine shape and then 3 months later they break? I just feel like there should have been something they could have seen.

The grass always seems greener on the other side of fence. The used Toyota Camry you are considering may also have issues.
You know what your Civic needs–motor mounts. Compared to other problems a car can have, this is relatively minor. If the Civic meets your needs, I would suggest doing the repair.
Toyotas are good cars, but things go wrong with Toyotas as well–expensive things. I had to have a water pump replacement on a 2011 Toyota Sienna at a cost of $975. That is in the price range of the motor mounts for your Civic.

3 Likes

If you think someone could predict when a motor mount will break you are mistaken . You had to approve the work so the dealer did not snooker you.

Kelly Blue Book is usually higher then the actual prices vehicles are sold and bought for. Dealers use Black Book and their own experience with the current market . You appear to dislike repairs so look at new with full warranty and also lower loan rates .

I know people place a lot of merit on CPO vehicles but all that means to me is that it certified to be a used vehicle. Also consider the fact with all the floods lately buying a used vehicle is more risky then it has ever been.

Sounds like you really want the Camry. If you want it and can afford it, I’d so go for it. There’s really no wrong answer, but…

I know absolutely nothing about hybrids. The car is almost 12 yrs old and approaching 200k miles. If that’s nearing the end of the hybrid battery life cycle, and if they’re expensive, it might be better to get rid of the hybrid before incurring that expense.

Some CPO vehicles come with a great warranty. Some are even longer than the original warranty on the vehicle was when it was new. I don’t know about Toyota.

Other than the warranty, I agree, a CPO is just a used vehicle. Doesn’t necessarily mean it’s never been wrecked or that there’s not anything wrong with it. But the warranty is usually better, hence the dealer generally asks more money for the CPO vehicles.

Yes, the hybrid battery cost is outrageous. I have to check it again. Actually soon after I got it they allowed me to place it as a recall under warranty. I believe it is under warranty for another year or two. I am looking more into this stuff as well as repairs/replacements that might be due soon.

Radiator, transmission mount and hoses are nor hugely major repairs on an 11 year old car. You may have way overpaid fpr them by using the dealer.

Any independent mechanic could have handled it. I would suggest you check with one to confirm they are broken and get a price for the motor mounts.

2 Likes

I think you should get a 2nd opinion on the mounts. They might just be worn. Dealers usually want to “fix” everything on the car to like new condition.
Then, if you can fix the mounts for $600, that is 2 car payments.
If it were me, I will fix the car if needed, drive it in the ground and save for my next car. You should be able to pay all cash or close to it for your next car IMO (I know most people will disagree, but we tend to dig ourselves in deep holes).

These are all good points, thanks so much. Will shops do free appraisals on this kind of thing? The dealer showed me the passenger mount, but of course I have an untrained eye and I didn’t have a side-by-side comparison. In addition to getting second opinions I’m looking more at my service history to see what could be due in the coming year because I don’t want to keep pumping money into the car, I just want to get more mileage out of the big ticket repairs I did in June. That’s what’s holding me up the most. I’m not in love with the car enough to have it much more than a year. So I’m weighing all that against the cost of payments on a new (used) car. Panic and emotion drove the decision to do the June fixes, and I don’t want panic and emotion to decide what to do now.

Doubtful, their time is money and why should they spend time determining that your mounts are bad and then not get to do the repair. A lot of shops will waive some or all of the diagnostic fee if they get to do the repair.

You need a 2nd opinion. It’s odd to me they would have you replace one mount, then have ask for another mount need replacement. I bet this dealer also owns a Toyota joint and is trying to sell more Camrys. The more repairs they say you need, the faster they will get you into a new Camry. The dealer’s bread and butter comes from the service department. I only get my oil changed at the dealer and if they suggest any other work, I have a independent mechanic check my car out which results in them saying nothing is wrong or the dealer over blew the situation. I know many people who switch dealers because they feel they are getting ripped off.

Updates…one mechanic suggested I could just get right motor mount fixed and not lower. This would run about $500. Another shop may be able to do both for $600. A third said I could go aftermarket (much cheaper) but advised against if I were to keep the car a long time. I’m seeing a couple more mechanics this week then intending to decide to fix or sell.

Multiple mechanics have confirmed the problem so now I just have to decide. Looking at my service history I determined I could go a year before other stuff likely needs repairing. At that point costs and risk of IMA battery failing would make it wise to sell.

Just an added note: the spark plugs and brake fluid exchange are 2 services that should be due now…both were last done at 108K miles. Car has 175K now. Under the keep-a-year plan, as long as these stay in check I would not address them. That may be playing with fire though.