2007 Honda Accord Sdn - Keep or trade?

I have a 2007 Honda Accord with 200,400 miles on it. It’s been a good car and is in decent shape but I’m trying to decide if I should get a newer one (maybe Civic) even though used cars are expensive too. Guys tell me to just keep this as Hondas “last forever”. I do need to get a 200,000 mile checkup on it which will cost about $1000. P.S. I am female and 77 and still a good driver! Any advice?

Then let those Guys pay you a premium price for this ’ Forever ’ Honda. It is your money so if you want a newer vehicle then do so. After your service inspection this decision will probably make itself.

If the 200,000 mile checkup doesn’t turn up any serious problems it’s probably okay to keep it. Hondas are pretty long lived. On the other hand, I’d hate to see you stranded if it breaks down. A newer car will have safety gizmos that can be beneficial to even a “good driver” but they’re also more complicated in some respects with touch screens and menus. It won’t hurt to test drive a newer car or possibly rent one for a day to see how you like it.

1 Like

If you’re otherwise happy with the car and it’s been well maintained I don’t see much of a reason to trade, unless the inspection turns up something serious. a retired co-worker has 300,000 miles on a 2007 Toyota Camry and plans to get another 100,000 miles out of it before trading up.

I had an Accord V6 and traded it in at about 180,000 miles. I used it for commuting and needed it every day. It started having little failures, like the hood struts. I also replaced the rear brake rotors when one failed. The last straw was when the air bag light came on intermittently.

At this age and mileage, anything could fail, and it’s not a repair, it’s maintenance. If you keep up with preventative maintenance, maybe you can avoid these problems. I bought a new Accord in 2017 and it has been great. BTW, if you have a V6, your are likely due for a new timing belt. If you don’t mind a few failures, you could keep it going for several years.

Just to complicate things, how long do you plan to continue driving? I’m not suggesting you should stop, but thinking about that can help you decide whether to get a new car or not.