2007 Grand Prix Rattling/Squeaking Noise

Hello everyone,

I’m new to the forums and have recently had trouble with my car that has led me here.

For about a month, my car has been making a squeaking noise when coming to stops occasionally. Then, a couple days ago, my car started to make a rattling noise that felt like a small vibration under me. Yesterday, I took the car to Jiffy Lube where they performed a brake inspection and they found all brake pads to be in good condition and found no problems with the car at all. The technician suggested that I get my tires replaced because they’re 11 years old, but I am not sure if that could be the problem. Today, upon first turning the car on, the rattling was barely there. It seemed to get progressively worse as I drove it more throughout the day, then the rattling became accompanied by a squeaking/squealing sound that could be heard from the outside of the car. The noise also seems to only happen when braking or cruising, and seems to not happen while accelerating. I also tend to feel the rattling more at slower speeds, around 15mph on residential streets. The car runs fine otherwise and I have had no issues with braking or any other functions of the car.

Vehicle Information:

Pontiac

Grand Prix

3.8L V6

84,942 Mileage

Bad move you need to take it ti a good independent mechanic shop for a proper diagnoses and possible repair IFFYLUBE don’t employ mechanics.

Could be a number of things. I would guess cv joints in your drive axles are the noise. Take it to an actual repair shop, not Jiffy Lube. Look for a well rated independent, (not chains like Pep Boys) repair shop.

1 Like

That is good advice from a Jiffy Lube person which is rare .

I took the car to a repair shop today and was told that the CV axle and wheel bearing on the left front tire were bad. The guy mentioned that it could have been from the potholes that are around my city in Chicago. He quoted me at $715 for those replacements and a wheel alignment. but I declined the repair since that price seemed excessive and the technicians already seemed a bit dishonest from first impressions. Should I have someone else take a second look? Do you think those problems align with the sounds I’m hearing?

First off you did a good job providing the car’s configuration data. Your car’s 3.8 engine comes in two configurations, that’s the only thing you left out, but seems not related to this repair. Exact engine ID might be found on sticker placed under-side of hood, look there next time you lift hood.

I’m guessing the half shaft (axle ass’y including new cv joints for one side) parts cost about $300, and 1 1/2 hour labor. Front wheel bearing probably involves replacing entire hub ass’y, which includes new bearing, around $200 each, a little more if ABS equipped. I’d guess that part of job would probably take around an hour shop time. Didn’t total it out & depends on hourly rate, but $700 or so for one side seems reasonable. Usually when problems like this occur on one side, recommendations here are that the parts on both sides be replaced at the same time. You’d probably save some $$$ in the long run by asking shop if doing both sides now is a good idea. More $$ now but fewer $$$ later.

Does rattling problem occur when car is idling, not moving? If so these repairs – while they may be needed – unlikely to solve the rattling.

1 Like

That is an unnessary question . You did not feel good about the first shop so find a shop that you feel good about . You may have to pay a fee but if they say the same thing you will feel better.

1 Like

It does not occur while idling. If idling includes both while in parking gear and while just having my foot on the brake, then not at all. Also, I’ll list below the exact information as listed on the invoice:

Labor: Remove and Replace Front Wheel Hub and Bearing Assembly (one side) $194
Remove and Replace CV Axle Assembly (one side) $145
Wheel Alignment $85

Parts: Parts Master Front Hub Assembly $84.77
Cardone Reman Right New CV Complete Assembly $129

Tax $21.91

Total: $660.18

(Verbally stated $715 but can’t remember where the extra cost was from, but lists $660.18 for all costs on invoice)