2007 Ford F-150 - Cheap wipers

I believe I had to get the ham radio license, I don’t recall a test.

The amateur radio, i.e. ham radio, license is totally different from CB radio. Different band widths. And ham radio has far stricter legal parameters and procedures than CB radio.

For example, my Tech No Code ham license limited me to voice only transmissions on the 2-meter and 70-centimeter channels. Under the supervision of someone with a General class or Extra class license I could get on additional channels which I’ve gotten to do several times years ago when our Skywarn ham group worked out of the County Police EOC during severe weather. Access to the EOC for non-police personnel ceased though after the 9/11 attacks though.

In recent years I’ve done my storm spotting reports via smart phone links directly to the National Weather Service. Getting back a ham license would be nice but these days I can access various resources through my phone so easily that I will probably just let the ham radio work continue to slide at this point. But I admit that I do miss the fun of working the weather net base station or occasionally teaming up with another trained spotter ham and doing some very cautious minor storm chasing.

1 Like

I got my novice license in the early 70s. Still remember my call sign. Morse code, not so much.

1 Like

Not in the 70’s when I got mine.

I got my license in '95. Didn’t need Morse code for the Tech(nician) No Code class license. The no code class was around only a few years. Had mine not lapsed due to error my license would still be grandfathered.

I don’t think anyone forgets their call sign. :+1::slightly_smiling_face:

For me the easiest way to remember my car license plate is with ham alphabet as if it were a call sign.

Several times I’ve called 911 while driving to report a wildly reckless driver, if I’ve gotten the license tag I tell that to the 911 dispatcher as if it were a ham call sign. The dispatchers like that. :+1:

Edited:

@Barkydog Licensed amateur radio, commonly referred to as ham radio, preceeded CB radio by many, many years. The licensing process has always been different.

With respect, I believe you are in error. But now you have me curious to refresh my memory and shall do a bit of research and post what I find. And if I am in error I will admit mea culpa. :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

"Marnet,
The amateur radio, i.e. ham radio, license is totally different from CB radio. Different band widths. And ham radio has far stricter legal parameters and procedures than CB radio.

Agree the license was two different license’s I got my CB license in the 60;s shortly after CB came out. But as @NYBo pointed out a lot of non trucker’s were getting and using them there was a lot of radio traffic in the higher populated aera’s.

1 Like

Short version generic explanation per Wikipedia about licensed amateur radio.

Amateur radio licensing in the United States - Wikipedia.

Wikipedia explanation of CB radio (and frankly a far better, more detailed explanation than the section on ham radio.)

1 Like

how much does the original Ford wipers cost?

Who knows since Ford does not make wipers . Call your local Ford dealer and they will give you a price for what ever they stock . Seriously any good quality wiper assembly from a parts store or even Walmart will last a decent amount of time .

1 Like

As is often the case, the discussion got off on a tangent, due considerably by me. My apologies to the OP and @cdaquila.

(Although discussion of CB radio and of ham radio use in storm chasing in a vehicle is car related. :wink::grin:)

But in all fairness, I cease and desist in hope the discussion returns to the original subject. I’ll try to be quiet now. :upside_down_face:

1 Like

I don’t think anyone forgets their call sign. :+1::slightly_smiling_face:

If I remember right the call sigh is permanent as compared to a CB handle that can be changed any time you want to am I right on that? S peaking of CB handle’s my screen name was my CB handle for many year’s. Over many year’s and mile’s I have heard many CB handles but the best I think I have ever heard was a father daughter and son trucking team the father was top banana the daughter was sweet banana the son was rotten banana.

2 Likes

I don’t know the answer to that question, but if you are interested, a quick phone call to the parts department at your local Ford dealership will provide the answer.

CB handles are made up by the user and were technically illegal, or at least they used to be.

1 Like

[quote="NYBo,
CB handles are made up by the user and were technically illegal, or at least they used to be.

That is like the law that says wiper’s on light’s on I have never seen either one enforced.

@Renegade Ham call signs are permanent…unless… you upgrade to a higher class license and apply for a new call sign that reflects that higher class. Also, within reason, a ham can request a specific “vanity” call sign so long as it fits within their license classification and isn’t already assigned to someone else. I’m not sure but if I retest and get back my ham license I could likely have my call sign reinstated.

CB doesn’t have FCC issued call signs. Users just pick a “handle” they want to go by.

Okay…again I’ll try to be quiet… until I’m not. It’s Talkative Tuesday! :grin:

2 Likes

They are about $17.50 each for OEM wiper blades for this vehicle.

Okay…again I’ll try to be quiet… until I’m not. It’s Talkative Tuesday! :grin:

Nothing wrong with that.

Current regulations regarding Licensed Amateur Radio, Citizens Band radio, and GMRS (General Mobile Radio Service) are on the FCC.gov website.

Happy reading and happy motoring, just not both at once.

1 Like

I had my CB handle and CB license number on my tire cover, one day a cop behind me called, just to chat. Two friends had CB base stations with very tall antennas, their wives spent a lot of time talking to the truckers.
I suspect those trucks had windshield wipers, some may have been driving Fords.

4 Likes