2007 Chrysler Pacifica transmission

I have a 2007 Chrysler Pacifica and today after driving in snow covered road I stopped for 2 hours and then went to leave and the car started making a grinding noise when in drive or reverse. I kicked the snow out of the wheel wells, and tried to drive away and the car still made a popping and grinding sound. I have had the car 2.5 months currently has 69,000 miles. There has been no warning lights showing or any jerking or strange noise. Any one have any ideas? The repair shop told me that if the transmission is shot that I should expect to pay apx $4k for parts and a $1k for labor, will not charge to tare down and diagnose. Does anyone think it could be the TC or front diff, or build up of ice on the drive line.

I would check things like the halfshafts first. Maybe a halfshaft has gotten dislodged from the transmission or stripped the splines, either at the transmission or on a wheel hub. This kind of thing can cause popping/grinding and may even cause a vehicle to not move at all, all depending.

My wife’s 98 Windstar made a similar grinding noise when the ABS Exciter ring (looks like a gear) came loose on the CV shaft. Check underneath the vehicle at each wheel. Note, if this was the case the ABS light would be on.

Ed B.

This was a broken halfshaft on the wheel hub. Thanks for the help