2007 Camry stopped while running

2007 Camry stopped while running… tried jump start …it ran and stopped while running… audio systems went down slowly

You probably need a new alternator.Ask your local independant mechanic to test it for you.How old is the battery?

1. Car stalls or has difficulty starting.

Your car isn’t just running on gasoline; it also runs on electricity (even though it might not be one of those hybrid vehicles). The alternator provides power to the spark plugs that ignite the gasoline in your engine. When the alternator is failing, there might not be enough power in the spark plugs to keep the engine alive, which can cause it to stall for no reason while running, or to have trouble starting. Ignore this symptom, and your car eventually won’t start at all.

1. Battery dies

Obviously, batteries sometimes fail on their own–but a bad alternator can actually cause the battery to drain because it’s failing to recharge it. If your battery goes dead, have the alternator checked when replacing the battery so it doesn’t happen again.

1 Like

It ran and stopped again… if alternator is bad I assume I will have only starting problem … after it starts it should continue to run isn’t it??? Can alternator caz running car to stop… I was thinking it could be throttle head problem… now at advance auto parts… waiting for towing to service center

Read my post…if alternator goes bad you won’t be able to start because the alternator is made to recharge the battery.

Thank you t… battery is 2 year old… advanced auto parts guys checked battery is ok…

As you mentioned it could be alternator… will get that checked… thanks again

1 Like

If it cranks robustly (w/the battery, without using a jump start), starts, then quits running at some point, both the battery and alternator are probably ok. If it’s an electrical system problem that’s causing it, most likely the battery connections are corroded and/or loose and need to be cleaned and tightened. Those connections are affected by the heat under the hood, so it might start and run when cold, but stop running as it warms up. So first job with this sort of problem is to clean and tighten the battery connections.

Given the audio system involvement, there’s a simple alternator battery test a diy’er can do also. All that’s needed is a simple volt meter or DVM. Before first start of the day, the battery should measure about 12.6 volts. Immediately after starting the engine it should measure 13.5-15.5 volts. Does it?

If the audio system involvement is a red herring, then I’d be looking for a ignition or fuel system problem. Fuel pump, ignition module, crank position sensor. All are heat sensitive. Checking for spark when the symptom is occuring is a good place to start.

The person is having the vehicle towed to a shop. I see no reason to try and guess what is wrong. Maybe they will post the finding after it is fixed.

1 Like

Yes, it was Alternator issue and got it replaced. Thank you very much.

1 Like

Thanks for the good feedback. Glad you are back on the road with a reliable Camry.