2007 Buick Century stalls when I mash the gas

My mother is sick and cannot drive her car so I crank it up and drive it down the road. When I pull out of drive way and mash the gas it stalls, thinking it is the transmission not going in gear. What do you think?

I think you should stop “mash” ing the gas and drive it more smoothly. If it bogs, it is unlikely to be a transmission problem. More likely a fuel problem.

3 Likes

I was thinking too…why would you drive someone else’s car in such a manner.

Who’s going to pay the bill if in “Mashing it” something breaks.

I would say it noods a new air filter, fuel filter, and a set of plugs.

Why not treat mom, and have that done for her along with an oil change.
Afterall she has most likely done a lot for you.

Yosemite

The vehicle has a drive-by-wire accelerator.

This means that instead of having a throttle cable between the accelerator pedal and the throttle body, the accelerator pedal position sensor,

sends a signal to the computer, and the computer operates the electronic throttle body.

Try this.

Turn the ignition switch on. Slowly press the accelerator pedal to the floor, and slowly let the accelerator pedal up. Shut the ignition off.

Now drive the vehicle and see if the accelerator is more responsive.

Tester

Do you mean the engine stalls, the car comes to a stop, and you have to re-start it with the key? Or do you mean the engine revs but the car doesn’t accelerate? Or do you mean the engine bogs down, you get little to no acceleration, but the engine doesn’t completely stall?

I presume the reason you are driving your mom’s car is to keep it from developing the problems cars get when they sit unused for long periods of time. That’s a good idea. Still, the car isn’t being used very much, so suggest you don’t get overly aggressive on the gas pedal, at least until it is returned to daily driver status. It’s like us old geezers (e.g. me), we have to start out slowly at first. Hope your mom feels better soon.