2007 Aveo5 Check Engine light and stalling after oil change

I have a 2007 Chevy Aveo5 and on Thursday the check engine light came on so I re-set the gas cap and it went off. Friday morning I got an oil change about 8 am. Friday around 5 pm I was driving home and the hood started to smoke a little and I smelt burning so I went to a different Valvoline to see what had happened since I just had the oil change. The first Valvoline had spilled and left oil on the car and it was burning off they said. It was a mess. Saturday mid day the check engine light came on again and the car began to stall. Today, Sunday, I turned the car on and tried driving a little and the light is off and it seems fine. I’m at a loss as to what it could be and how soon I need to get it to the mechanic.

That CEL (check engine light) is just a kid in class waving her hand trying to get you attention because she has the answer. You need to have the codes read. Some places will read them for FREE. Try Autozone or Advanced Auto Parts. Get the exact code (like P0123) not just their translation into English and post it back here. 

I is strongly recommended that you totally avoid any quick oil change place, no matter what name is on the sign. We see time after time that their workers who generally are not mechanics are not give sufficient training or time to get the job done right. Also they have been know to push unneeded work to up their profit.

You should see a real mechanic immediately. Don’t go to anymore corporate chain shops of any kind. Ask around for suggestions for a local, independent mechanic and use them for everything.

Many a car these days has been destroyed by poor and careless work at oil change places. Tell your new mechanic every detail of what happened and ask them to see if they can tell what might have happened. (Did you at least check the oil with your own eyes and hands?) I’d even be tempted to ask them to check the compression on the engine. Document everything.

Why not have the code read instead of just guessing at the problem?

Did you at least make sure you have the right amount of oil in the car?