I bought a 2006 Prius used years ago. From the start I had an intermittent electrical problem.
Here’s how it goes:
- I drive the car.
- I park the car and go about my business.
- I come back to the car, get in, push the brake and hit the start button.
- The interior light is an orange (rather than yellow when at full charge); the car ‘starts’ except the radio does not come on and the “P” in the shift icons is not highlighted - and the car will not shift into gear.
- I turn the car off (can’t push the brake, or it doesn’t turn off properly).
- I jump the car (from another car or portable battery). Everything works as desired. Until the next time.
–This usually happens when I’m in a hurry or the weather is crappy. That might just be my perception. . .
–I’m asking about this now because the repeated stress on the battery plus cold weather seems to have resulted in a dead 12V. . .I expect I need to replace it, but I wanted to see if you guys might know root cause or how to troubleshoot the ‘car not starting, electrical short?’ problem.
–I’ve taken the car to multiple dealerships - everyone says “well, everything looks fine!”. . .
–(maybe, maybe not related) the headlights will sometimes go out while I’m driving. Used to only happen to the driver’s side, now happens to both although not simultaneously (I need new bulbs?).
I love the gas mileage, but I’m really getting done with the car and this issue.
Any suggestions, similar experience or thoughts are greatly welcome!