2006 Toyota Corolla

I have a 2006 Toyota Corolla. The other day I was pulling out of the parking lot and it stalled. I tried to start it back up but it didn’t. I waited a while and it did start back up but the “check engine light” was on. I drove it around the block and it was ok. I checked to make sure the gas cover was closed and it was. The next day the light was off so I figured it was ok. Two days later I am pulling out of the parking lot and it did the same thing. When I tried to restart it it wouldn’t. It sounds like the engine isn’t clicking over and catching to start up. I am thinking and alternator, a starter, or an engine coil? Any ideas on what it is and what the cost is to fix it?

That CEL (check engine light) is just a kid in class waving her hand trying to get you attention because she has the answer. You need to have the codes read. Some places will read them for FREE. Try Autozone or Advanced Auto Parts. Get the exact code (like P0123) not just their translation into English and post it back here. 

Regarding warning lights:

1. if the coolant temp light comes on, shut off the engine ASAP

2. if the oil warning light comes on, shut off the engine ASAP

3. if a FLASHING MIL/CEL comes on, shut off the engine ASAP

ASAP means driving to the berm of the highway right now and not waiting for the next exit.

But if the MIL/CEL is not flashing, then it’s not an urgent indicator.

But now it has stalled and wouldn’t start

Isn’t it still under warranty? Then the dealer will have to pay to have it towed to them for repair. Otherwise, you can rent, borrow, or buy a code scanner; or you can pay to have it towed.

Good luck.

A mechanic has to have something (information) to work with. A few basic thing have to be determined: 1. Does the car crank at a normal rate?; 2. Is there spark?; 3. Is there fuel; 4. Is there fuel being injected?
A diagnosis can’t be completed until a few things are checked. So, it’s impossible to say that certain parts are at fault until those checks, and tests, are done.
In sum, a mechanic has to do some kind of examination of the car before anything. n