2006 Pontiac Torrent won't start

Hello all, I have a 2006 Pontiac Torrent with approximatly 50k miles. Recently, the car started having difficulty turning over and starting. It would crank for a while and finally turn over, often times I would have to push the gas pedal to make it turn over. A week ago, it would not run over or start at all. We replaced the battery, as recommended by our mechanic. Now, a week later it won’t turn or start again. I speculating that it could be a starter or throttle cable issue. As suggestions on other possible malfunctions or advise from someone who has had the same issue. Sort on funds and would have to have to take it to the dealer. Costly!

“Cranking” and “turning over” are generally the same thing. Are you saying that you turn the key, and the car sounds like it will start (cranks) but doesn’t? Or are you saying that you turn the key and nothing happens - or maybe you just get a click?

Assuming that it cranks: a car really only needs 3 things to run - air, fuel, and spark. An air is unlikely to keep it from starting at all. So start by figuring out of you lack fuel or spark. Turn the key to on without going all the way to crank and listen for a 2-3 second hum - that’s your fuel pump. If you don’t hear the hum check the fuse & relay for the fuel pump first. If you have a fuel pressure gauge you can also just slap it on there and see (not a bad idea anyway). You can also blow some starter fluid into the intake and if that gets it to fire (even if briefly) then the problem is likely fuel.

Also, get a spark tester at an auto parts store. Hook it up and see if you have spark. Report back.

If it cranks but won’t start then the starter isn’t an issue.

For just starting the throttle cable is irrelevant as the air fuel mix is computer controlled.

Thanks for the feedback. Actually, when I turn the key, nothing happens. I tried turning the to the on position, waited for the hum and then processed to turn the key all the way and nothing and the fuel tank is full. Do you think it could be the spark plugs or may be the starter? Can I get the spark tester a auto zone or pep boys. Not that car savy so any directional advice is much appreciated. Trying to save some money and avoid the costly dealership route. Thanks!

If nothing happens when you turn the key, it’s either the starter or the battery is dead. Don’t worry about the ignition at this point. I believe you said it worked for a while longer after replacing the battery. If that is the case, then the alternator may be the culprit. Try a jump start or charging the battery and then starting it. Then get both the battery and the charging system checked.

[i] We replaced the battery, as recommended by our mechanic. Now, a week later it won’t turn or start again. [/i]

I would suggest getting the charging system checked. Many auto part stores will do it for free.

You certainly need to get the charging system checked, but you also need to elaborate some - especially about this: "It would crank for a while and finally turn over, often times I would have to push the gas pedal to make it turn over."

Is it possible that your current dead battery condition is from trying too long to get it started? You might have both charging system and ignition or fuel problems.

In any case, it sounds to me like you might just want to find a good local mechanic to look at it.