2006 Kia Rio - Doors don't unlock with key turn, dead fob

My Kia Rio has been parked for a few months, I don’t need to drive it often. Today I needed to move it. When I put the key in the driver side door, it turned but I didn’t feel “the click”. I tired the handle, door didn’t open. Tried the key again, same result. Tried the passenger door, same result (no click, no open). None of the four doors open. The fob hasn’t worked in years, so I can’t try that (yes, I did replace the fob battery). The key will open the trunk, if that matters.

Any ideas on what I can do fix this?

No Kia door-lock experience, but suggest to start with this question: What does the car-battery’s voltage measure? Not the fob battery, the car’s 12 volt battery. It should be at least 12.0 volts. If not, suggest to re-charge the battery overnight, using a shop battery charger on the 2 amp setting.

This idea may be thwarted by the lock problem making it difficult to access the 12 volt battery which is presumably in the engine compartment. Do you have a work-a-round for that?

1 Like

Maybe I can unhook the hood from underneath. Let me give that a shot.

I had to do that for my Corolla one time. I used a long-reach forceps tool to grab hold of the cable . Something like this. Mine has longer jaws, pivot closer to handle. Good lighting helps.

Before going down that route, suggest to do a little research first, b/c there may be an easier way. Check owner’s manual, stop by a Kia dealership to ask, etc. If the owner’s manual is out of reach inside the car, you may be able to read an electronic pdf version online via the Kia website.

1 Like

The battery in the car might just be dead, if the key actually activates the lock solenoid instead of the lock itself. Might be service contacts in the trunk to check or charge the battery or under the hood without opening the hood. Just grasping at straws, but a lock smith could open the door but doubt th3 car would start anyway.

1 Like

I got it open and yes, the battery is dead. I’ll charge it and go from there. Thank you for your help!

3 Likes