2006 Jeep Commander - is it okay to run on 7 cyl?

My Jeep has no compression on #8 cylinder. It runs very well until 65mph and then it struggles, but still manages to recover, except for steep hills when it chugs. Mechanic said he put a camera into cylinder and detected traces of metal shavings and told me to replace the engine. That was a year ago and I’m still driving short distances and cannot afford an engine as I am on SS and age 80. Do I have anything to worry about. Engine is clean as can be.

As long as you don’t mind driving a 7 cylinder engine, go right ahead. I’d guess there is more wrong with this engine besides #8 since you should have more power than what you describe.

At some point the #8 may decide to spontaneously destruct itself and lock the engine up solid. At that point you may just have it towed away rather than install a new engine.

look at the up-side.

You can tell everyone that you have a 7 cylinder and during winter #8 keeps running to keep the engine warm. No more cold car on those 15 degree days in January.

Yosemite

Sure you can.

If you don’t mind destroying the catalytic converter(s)?

Tester

1 Like

Would it help to disconnect the fuel injector for that cylinder?

1 Like

The OP didn’t state if that was done.

So, one must assume that it wasn’t.

Tester

1 Like

It has been my experience that a Mopar Next Generation Controler will shut off the injector if a misfire is detected.

That makes it easy. I guess ideally you’d like to remove all the intake and exhaust valves for that cylinder. Since the engine seems to have been run this way for a considerable time, worrying about the cat seems pretty low on the list of priorities at this point.

If I were going to drive a car with a dead cylinder, I’d probably remove the spark plug and disconnect fuel injector, unless as suggested above, that second step may be unnecessary.

Doing so would provide a clear path for the intake manifold to draw air from the exhaust manifold.

lol … ok, I see why that’s no good. Except if you need a lot of egr :wink: