2006 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport - How long will engine last?

the car has high kms want to know wat is the highest or at what point wil a new engine need to be

Welcome to the forum…

I Googled kms and it showed up as a hair product, so I am guessing you mean miles on the vehilce?..
The milage most any engine will go all depends on how well the maintenance was done or the lack of it being done…

But the average lifespan of your SUV is 200,000 to 250,000 miles or 13 to 17 years. It can probably reach beyond 250,000 miles if you’re a mindful driver who keeps up with routine maintenance.

Surely you know that most of the world uses kilometers and not miles.

1 Like

We don’t know from afar exactly how many kms is meant by “high”.
But, if the vehicle was well-maintained and was not abused by the previous owners (there could have been several) over the past 17 years, it probably has some life left in it.

If it wasn’t maintained properly and/or if the previous owners drove it in an abusive manner, then the engine/transmission/cooling system/ball joints/tie rod ends/u-joints/brake hydraulic system could fail tomorrow, necessitating expensive repairs.

You need to have a competent mechanic–of your own choosing–do a pre-purchase inspection. And, even if the mechanic gives it a clean bill of health, you have to realize that almost any component on a car can fail after 17 years.

… along with grams instead of ounces, and kilograms instead of pounds.

Yes you are correct sir, but surely you know that this forum is based in America and so am I, and we use miles not kilometers, and I guess Google is American also cause when you Google kms, hair products pop up… lol

I figured OP was talking about Kilometers but I was just checking to make sure I wasn’t missing something, and when I Googled kms nothing about Kilometers showed up…

So forgive me for not adding the word Kilometers when I mentioned Miles as I was trying to keep it short and sweet, and Miles is shorter and easier for me to type then Kilometers due to a neurological disease that makes it harder for me to type then most other people… But if you prefer I can type many more words to include all possibility’s in my reply’s from now own if that would make you happy…??..

EDIT: The abbreviation for Kilometer(s) is km not kms…

Because the metric (SI) system uses symbols, not abbreviations, the symbol km for kilometre does not contain periods, or an s in the plural form.

Source:

kilometre, km, K (kilometre), kilometres per hour, km² - Search for entries starting with K - Writing Tips - TERMIUM Plus® - Translation Bureau.

1 Like

Ray and Tom were asked same question on recent podcast. different car, but their answer probably applies to this car. IIRC they said 300k miles, provided car is & has been driven gently and oil & filter is & has been changed frequently, 3-5 k mile change intervals.

These days, cars and oils have gotten better. I suspect Tom and Ray would still say 300,000 miles, but with oil changes every 5-10 thousand miles.

Yes, that is essentially what I stated in my earlier post, and–of course–the OP asked specfically about the engine. But–assuming that the OP is still reading these responses–I hope she realizes that automatic transmissions need to be serviced regularly, and even with good maintenance, most automatic transmissions won’t make it to 300k miles.

The engine and transmission are the big-ticket items, but then there are also many other systems of a vehicle that are prone to failure long before 300k miles.

Surely you know that the metric system has been taught in schools for over 60 years. While the metric system isn’t the norm standard in the US, it has been taught in schools for decades. Higher level math and science classes mostly teach in the metric system. There is no more 100-yard dash in schools. It’s 100 meters. You have to be really isolated to not know about kilometers.

2 Likes

Do you own it or are you considering buying it?

1 Like

How about trying to read the rest of my post and not take it out of context… Damn dude get over yourself…

Maybe try to help people on this forum instead of criticizing the ones of us trying to help people in need…

Yes I know about the metric system, but I also know kms is not Kilometers km is… So I was just making sure I wasn’t missing something… If that is OK with you???
Should I run everything through you 1st from now on to make sure it is up to your standards??? Or is it OK with you if I go back to helping people on here??
I am sorry for offending you, my bad!!! gezzz…

Funny, I saw you were typing and just new you were about to say something like you did, very predictable… :man_facepalming:

4 Likes

I think @davesmopar posts some of the most useful comments :smile_cat:

6 Likes

Read with humor. Never an opportunity lost to insult someone. Drivers prefer miles, carpenters prefer feet and inches, and your lots are laid out in feet. Drug dealers use the metric system. Try as they may it has never caught on in the USA. Abbreviations can be confusing though. k can stand for 1000, but it also refers to contract in the legal world. I hired a guy once, straight a student with multiple majors, photographic memory. Too bad all that talent was wasted on him being a total jerk.

2 Likes

Back in the '70s, when there were attempts to convert The US to the Metric system, a woman sent a letter to the editor of my regional newspaper. Her concern was that her car “takes gallons of gas, so what am I going to do if they start selling gas only in liters?”.

:smack:

Yes, they walk among us, and–even worse–we share the roads with those of small minds.

4 Likes

Imagine all the money we’d save if instead of buying a gallon of gas for $3.509 we paid $0.927 per liter! :smile:

Back in the 70’s some gas stations in the US did sell in liters. When gas prices went over $1.00/gal, some of the older pumps couldn’t handle the pricing. They could only do up to 99 cents. So they started selling liters. Since a liter is smaller than a gallon, they didn’t have to change out the pumps (at least for a while). Most people were able to figure it out. Signs everywhere at the gas station. The only problem for some people was figuring out their MPG.

Just to add to the complexity, they still use mpg in the UK, but it isn’t the same as mpg in the USA . Miles are the same distance, but gallons are different. The same car gets fewer mpg in the USA than in the UK.

2 Likes

Tell me about it, I still have a hard time remembering if I need my ASE crescent wrench or my Metric crescent wrench, and don’t even get me started on my pipe wrench’s… :crazy_face:

1 Like

Who would have guessed they teach us measurements in the uk? It must be so. I’m sure I saw a guy though with a two headed adjustable metric spinner, but don’t recall when or where. Maybe he just welded a standard crescent head to a metric one. I dunno. :rofl: :rofl: