2006 Honda CR-V - pop & grind

My 2006 Honda CRV has 214,000 miles. The car has be kept up to date on all maintenance and well taken care of. I recently have heard a popping sound from the rear of the car when I would make a turn, usually when there would be a bump at the turn. It started at what sounded like the passenger side, but later it sounded like from both sides. A few days ago, I started hearing a grinding noise, but mainly when I am just making a curve and braking, or just making a curve. Sometimes what seems for no reason at all. When it happens, it feels like I have tapped the brakes, but I have not. The VSA light will blink on and off a few times, and then things feel normal again. It’s not happening on rough roads, all good roads, and it seems as if the only common factors includes curves, turns, and sometimes braking. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Is your check engine light on? do you have any codes you can post?
Honda CR-V: VSA Light Diagnosis | Drivetrain Resource (700r4transmissionhq.com)

it could be a worn rear CV joint
One of the most common symptoms of a bad axle is a loud, clicking noise that is heard when the car turns or accelerates. This clicking noise is caused by a loose CV joint in a worn down axle.

It sounds to me like the VSA system is randomly activating, and you have provided a few clues to that effect.

A bad wheel speed sensor–or two–could be the source of the problem.
Or, if your tires have very little tread remaining (or if they are old), their reduced traction could be causing the VSA to activate.

How old are your tires?
How much tread is remaining on them–especially the ones in the rear?

Could be a bad wheel bearing as well as the other good suggestions already posted. You really should have the entire rear suspension inspected…brakes, struts, bearings, the works.

2 Likes

No, I’m sorry. I don’t have any codes, and the check engine light has not been on.

Melody

I think part of the issue has been solved. My husband noticed one rear tire was quite low and plugged it. That seems to have stopped the VSA problem, which makes perfect sense. The popping sound is totally unrelated to that, but you have given me some good ideas on what to check for. Thank you for all of your help and suggestions.

Melody

1 Like

Seeing that it mostly happens in turns, I’d lean towards wheel bearings. Is the vehicle all wheel drive? If so, rear cv joints is a possibility. If not, it’ll only have cv joints in the front. Someone’s going to have to put it on a lift and check things over to find exactly what’s worn out.

Maybe, but because the OP never responded to my completely reasonable question regarding the age and the condition of the tires, I still think that random activation of the VSA system is a distinct possibility, especially in view of…

… and…

Temporary loss of traction due to old or badly-worn tires would likely activate the VSA system, so until the OP tells us enough about the tires to rule them out, I think that the tires are the most likely source of the problem.

I’m thinking CV joint. Esp if the clicking/popping/grinding is worse during slow speed turns. First step is to check all the CV boots remain intact, and nothing leaking from them. Check all four wheels, as sounds are hard to tell where they are actually coming from. If you have CV joints on all four wheels you have 8 boots to check, an inner and outer on each of the four axels.