2006 Honda Civic Sdn - Trans fluid?

I have a 2006 Honda Civic. I’ve been told to have the transmission fluid and brake fluid changed at about $275. I have some mechanics telling me that’s ridiculous it never needs to be done then others say it does. But I asked the question last night & answers from your website & cars.com said it really didn’t need to be done but I just Googled it now and your answer was it definitely needs to be done. So, does it?

Dean if you don’t know the last time the brake fluid was changed at least do that . As for the transmission fluid you will get all kinds of answers so that is just your choice . Look in your manual at the service schedule.

Honda transmissions benefit from proactive care. Change the transmission fluid every 30,000 miles and you will get good service…

1 Like

The 2006 Honda Civic are known for head gasket failure and cracked engine blocks.Ask the mechanic to check the cooling system if it wasn’t done already.

I suggest that you do this. Honda’s transmissions weren’t particularly good in those years, so ignoring the required maintenance there might cost you a lot of money. You might get away without replacing the brake fluid, but do you really want to take a chance on your brakes not working when you’re going down a steep hill someday?

How long have you had this car? I hope this isn’t the first time these services are being considered for a 2006 car.

Who quoted you this price? Where I live, a good independent mechanic could do both items for quite a bit less than $275.

I’ve had it two and a half years. My daughter bought it for me from a neighbor she thought was a friend but I think he took advantage of her. I do believe from other maintenance that I’ve had done on it that this is probably the first time. The car manual, even though the it shows maintenance items being written in it it’s all in the same ink color and all in a feminine handwriting so I think they just forged the maintenance log in the maintenance manual before they sold it. The filters were so dirty it looked like they’d never been changed. it’s just that I’m retired & live on Social Security and a small pension. I don’t have a lot of money. I live in Utah, everything here is high, it was the Honda dealership that quoted me that price. For some reason everyone out here thinks if you’re living on Social Security you’re rich and no I don’t want a more expensive problem down the road that’s why I was checking. I was sure that other cars that I owned I had done these things and my dad used to do them on his cars but I thought maybe it was because he livesd in a different time & the cars weren’t as high-tech as these today and maybe I’ve been taken advantage of by mechanics telling me I needed to do these things when I didn’t cuz I’ve had that happen quite often in my life as I have been a single woman for many years now. But my son-in-law is bulking at changing these fluids because he said he’s never changed them in his truck and he’s had it 20 years so he doesn’t think it needs to be done and they’re the ones that are supposed to be paying for the maintenance on this car. So if you say it needs to be done I’ll have to figure out a way to come up with the money and then maybe try to find an honest mechanic out here that will charge less. Thanks for your help and info.

Is this an automatic transmission? If it is, I’d have the fluid changed, and I’d use only fluid I bought at the Honda dealership. Their automatics have been troublesome, and it’s better to use the Honda fluid.

1 Like

Thank you for your info. Obviously did not check into this purchase well enough.

While it’s a known problem, I bet most don’t have it. So just keep an eye on your oil and coolant levels.

Thank you for taking time to reply. I believe this 70 y.o. woman got taken advantage of, tho’t was buying from a friend.

The dealer is probably trying to sell you a flush on each.

I would recommend a drain and refill of the transmission every 30k miles and it should not cost more than an oil change. It only uses about 2.5 qts of ATF instead of 12 with a flush and that is enough to refresh the ATF. Do that at the dealer or an independent that you trust to use only Honda ATF.

The brake fluid should be flushed and bleed when you have new brake pads done. Brake jobs are expensive but adding a flush and bleed at this time is well worth the extra money.

You can buy both of Honda’s manual and automatic transmission fluids at parts stores.

Tester