2005 Toyota Highlander - worth buying?

Debating whether or not buy a 2005 Highlander Limited
with 134,572 miles on it. One owner, from Virginia (with no rust?), no accidents, made in Japan, 44 CarFax history reports, mint condition (Internally). They have 2 Firestones and 2 Michelins on car right now.

No one can make that decision for you except the other person in your household if there is one.

Pay a shop to look the vehicle over ( 100.00 to 150.00 ) to see if there are things that should have you pass and look for something else.

9 Likes

No one can make that decision for you except the other person in your household if there is one.

Pay a shop to look the vehicle over ( 100.00 to 150.00 ) to see if there are things that should have you pass and look for something else.

Is there an echo in here?

7 Likes

Are you mulling over the good advice that @VOLVO-V70 gave you?

1 Like

Hi, I might as well reply, since I’m a longtime owner of a 2005 highlander. I bought this car many years ago, relatively new, with less than 10k miles on it. It just cracked 231k miles last week, with little more to thank for that than regular maintenance and careful driving.

I have truly loved owning this vehicle. It’s helped me move and tow things across several states and endured countless harsh winters. It has tons of space. It’s a fun, smooth ride with great gas mileage even by today’s standards.

It won’t be as powerful or as nice as a 2021 Highlander. You can really feel strong winds, so that may be annoying or scary to some people. Still, I doubt there are many owners of this car who regretted the decision to buy it, new or used.

If they bought a used one that had been poorly-maintained and/or that had not been given approval by one’s own mechanic, it is extremely likely that they DID live to regret it.

With any used car–even a Toyota–documentation of proper maintenance is important.

When one is talking about a used vehicle–even a Toyota–that is 16 years old, proof of good maintenance is VITAL.

2 Likes

That is a blanket statement that could be completely wrong. You have had excellent service and kept it for a lot longer than many people do . The Highlander that Transparent is looking at could be a vehicle poised to drain someones savings account.

I kind of wonder why it has 2 different brands of tires . Makes me think they do not rotate so other things might be done as they should.

1 Like

Yes, that’s a fair point. Of course there are no absolutes.

I so appreciate your comment, thank you! To update, I have purchased the 2005 Highlander Limited that I found by default. It was love at first sight and drive. . . I picked it up on my mother’s birthday and am so grateful that the Toyota Dealership deemed it in MINT Condition with only one minor repair. I just met the 135K mile mark yesterday and went with my instincts on buying it after giving up my 1994 Honda Wagon EX last month; it was time. So buying a new/used car required 10 weeks of research. So happy to have been led to making the best decision for my needs, wants and desires. One owner, no accidents, 44 service-history, made in Japan, from VA without rust, beautiful inside and out. . . so grateful.

2 Likes

Appreciate your comment as well, albeit pessimistic!

Researched the tire situation and although unusual - Mavis, Toyota Dealer and
others I’ve spoken with say there’s nothing wrong with them - they have 8/32nds and will be fine once winter sets in since I won’t be driving in snow anyway, even with an AWD that will allow me to. Toyota Dealer deemed this 2005 Limited in MINT condition with one minor repair, so no, I won’t allow my savings to be drained by this machine in cherry condition. I am grateful the Law of Attraction has served me positively again! All the Best to you - it always helps to LIVE in GRATITUDE, attracting positivity to you everyday.

Thanks for your advice!

Toyota Dealership in upstate NY deemed my 2005 Highlander Limited in MINT condition with one minor repair to attend to after spending almost 2 hours checking it over carefully. Other than that, my intuition served me right without regret.

No need, I felt it was too pessimistic and nothing I should adhere to in terms of advice. My intuition is pretty strong and led me to find this car in MINT Condition deemed by the Toyota Dealership last week. I am grateful I can discern what one person’s opinion is from what my own mind/heart are telling me. It pays to listen to our inner calling, especially now.