2005 Toyota Camry- Temperature

I’ve been having problems with my 2005 Toyota Camry and the temperature gauge. The temperature has been getting very high on the car so I took it to the dealership. They made numerous test drives and let it run for a while but the temp still ran at about half. All the fluids were ok. But it still gets high for me. What would be the cause of this?

With hotter weather coming on engines are going to run a little hotter. As long as the needle doesn’t reach the red zone, it’s operating normally.

Tester

If it worked well for the dealer, then the radiator must be working OK. If it does not work for YOU, it might be the cooling fan (electric) not coming on when it should. The only other thing I can think of is you are driving with the emergency brake on, but that would cause a burning smell. Is the car still under warrany?

If no longer under warranty, you need totake the car to an idependent and capable mechanic and explain your situaltion exactly! I’m sure he will be able to locate the problem.

If the needle isn’t pegging all the way over into the red for Hot, then things are probably okay. Just how hot is it reading, and what are you used to seeing that’s making you think something might be wrong?

I have to respectfully disagree with my friends on this one. If it’s getting higher for you than it did for them something is wrong. It could be a malfunctioning cooling fan (or temp sensor that turns it on and off), a sticky thermostat, or crud building in the radiator cooling tubes, but something is wrong.

Take it to a reputable independent shop and let them check it out.

Is It Hot In Here Or Is It Just Me?

Sarah, did the people at the dealer mention anything about a Toyota TSB (Technical Service Bulletin)? Apparently, some 2005-2006 Camry customers have been complaining that their temperature gauges are reading “High” (when the engine temperature is actually normal). They suggest that the condition is hard for technicians to reproduce and will occur only after a “hot restart”. The bulletin outlines checking the coolant temperature and diagnosing for a repair.

Good News - Bad News

The good news is that an improved “combination meter” part can be ordered for your specific vehicle. The bad news is that the meter also contains the odometer memory and a form must be filled out and the part ordered directly from Denso, the supplier. (Sometimes dealers make you “Park It!” until the new part is in.)

The good news is that Toyota was replacing these for people complaining of false temperature readings, under the 36 months / 36,000 mile warranty. The bad news is that you are probably out of warranty.

The good news is that this could fix your problem (and it’s not just you). Also, your car is probably not getting too hot. The bad news is that it sounds expensive, but who knows?

I’d go back and ask them if Toyota Revised TSB # EL 005-06 applies to your situation. Then see if you can charm somebody at Toyota into fixing your car for free or reduced cost. Tell them you had to make a second trip and it should have been done under warranty, anyhow! How long have you had this problem?

CSA

Sarah, Did You Purchase The Car New Or From A Toyota Dealer? How Many Miles On It?

CSA