2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee won’t start when engine is warm

My car will not start once the engine is warm. The car must cool down completely before I can start it again. I had the crank sensor replaced and that didnt fix the problem. Jeep cannot figure out why this is happening and it shows no codes when connected to the computer. My mechanic also cannot figure out the problem but feels certain it is not the fuel pump. Help!

The trouble is either with the fuel delivery or the ignition system. To see if it is a fuel issue spray a small amount of starter fluid into the air intake and see if you get some fire from the engine when you crank it over. If that trick doesn’t work then you most likely need to check the ignition system and see if the plugs are firing when the trouble is happening. These are simple basic things to do and I’m not sure why your mechanic hasn’t done this already.

1 Like

How long do you have to wait before the engine starts again?

Tester

When it’s too warm to start, does the engine turn over as usual, but fail to start? Or does the engine not even turn over? Makes a diff!

1 Like

The engine attempts to turn over but fails to start.

Did anyone check for vapor lock?

Tester

Try the following two things.When the engine wont start hot,floor the gas pedal while you crank the engine and release it while continuing to crank after about 3 to 4 seconds.If this doesn’t work,press the pedal down barely while you crank the engine.If either works,the ect sensor is likely faulty.The ECU richens the fuel trim at cold start and when the engine is cool and it leans the fuel trim once the engine reaches operating temp,so if the ect sensor has failed & is reading a colder temp than it should,the engine will develop a flooded condition.If its reading too warm,the engine will develop too lean of a fuel trim.Either can cause a hot no start.If neither test works,cycle the key on/off 4-5 times before you attempt to start the engine.If this works,a low or no fuel pressure issue is present.If this vehicle has a fuel pressure regulator mounted on the fuel rail,remove the vacuum hose with the engine idling and see if fuel is seeping out of the vacuum port or the vacuum hose has fuel inside it.If either condition is present,the regulator is bad.Ive also heard of some jeep owners having this no start issue and they bled pressure off the fuel rail by pressing the valve stem on the Schrader valve and this allowed the engine to start when hot,so you can try this too.Check your coolant temp on the dash gauge when the no start condition occurs and pop the hood to see if the cooling fan is running.If not,and if the coolant is at/
above the fan cut on temp,the ECU may be preventing the engine from starting as a safety feature due to a possible overheat issue.