2005 Honda Civic sounds like a motorboat

I have a 2005 Honda Civic that I bought certified pre owned. Over the past few days, I noticed that when I accelerate over 25 mph or so, the car starts to sound like a motor boat or like someone is riding a moped next to my car. It sounds the same if I am going 35 mph or 65 mph. When I accelarate the noise doesn’t get louder, its a constant level once I’m over that 25 mph mark. When I slow down to stop at a red light it winds down and stops. When I idle, I hear no noise except the normal engine sounds. What’s going on??

Megan, I Would Get It Checked Out ASAP In Case It’s Something That Can Cause Damage To the Car Or Become Dangerous.

This could be anything from a vibrating heat shield to a bad bearing in a wheel or drive train. I’d be amazed if anybody could perform a cyber-diagnosis of this problem with 100% accuracy. You’ll need to take it to a competent mechanic and have it properly diagnosed, the sooner, the better. So, go take your favorite mechanic for a ride.

CSA

In addition to the possibilities mentioned by CSA, this could also be a leaking exhaust manifold, and that is a potential safety issue because it can lead to high carbon monoxide (CO) levels in the passenger cabin.

This car needs to be checked out by a competent mechanic a.s.a.p.
Please note that the category of competent mechanics does not normally include Midas, Meineke, Monro, Sears, Pep Boys, AAMCO, or any other chain operation.

I am willing to bet you have a cracked exhaust manifold or another type of exhaust leak.

You did get this car checked out by [u]your[/u] mechanic before you bought it, right? “Certified pre-owned” is just a fancy term that means “used.”

Thank you. I am taking it in to my mechanic this afternoon. Just trying to get an idea of what my be wrong. Thanks again!

It was a bad wheel bearing! Thanks again for the input

Megan, You’re Welcome. Thanks For Letting Us Know.

CSA