2005 Honda Civic Hybrid lost power. Could there be another reason besides needing a new hybrid battery?

My 2005 Honda Civic Hybrid all of a sudden had the air conditioning stop, then the speedometer stopped and then the steering wheel was losing power. So I pulled over the side of the road. I was traveling from Lady Lake, FL to Palm Harbor, FL when this happened. Got it towed to HOnda dealer in Palm Harbor. They are telling me I need a new hybrid battery. I told them that my Honda dealer from IL told me, about 8 years ago that I could still drive my car without getting a new one. He said it would just run like a non-hybrid where I would not get the same gas mileage.
So the dealer in Palm Harbor told me that my car can’t get enough power for my car to run only using the 12 volt battery. 1) Is this true? 2) Could there be another reason why my power went out? My 12 volt is only about 6 months old. 3) Can I put in a higher voltage battery in my car that could handle giving power to run my car? I’m in dire need of quick answers if possible because I am stuck in Palm Harbor and need to go home so I can go to work. Thanks!!!

Have you tried posting this on Civic Hybrid forums? Here are a couple:

Also, there’s a Greentec Auto, a company that sells replacement hybrid batteries, in Clearwater, just south of you. They list a replacement for your car at $1300-$1600, and they have mobile installation available. But I’d want to first make sure that’s the problem.

Here’s an article on them:
http://www.lukmangaru.com/hybrid-honda-civic-hybrid-battery-problems/

I’ve been in similar situations, though not with a hybrid battery.

If you really need to get back on the road, here’s what I’d suggest:

1. See what they’ll give you on trade-in for a new car on their lot. Compare the value of your car, as is, vs the price of a new hybrid battery, vs just getting a new (or new to you) car. This is by far the most expensive option, but it would solve all your problems today.
  2. Rent a car, or find some other way to get home, and leave the Honda with the dealer for the time being. Assuming they are OK with this, that gives you time to reflect on your next steps, and also it’ll get you home.

Good luck.

This statement bothers me a lot. I hope you misunderstood the dealer. The 12 volt battery is not even the right question. The question is…why won’t the car run on the ENGINE alone? Get that answer out of the shop.

2 Likes

When the computer detects a defect in the high voltage battery it will discontinue hybrid operation. When the high voltage battery fails completely the high voltage accessories will not operate; air conditioning compressor and power steering.

If the engine still operates, I would complete the trip then repair or replace the car.

Rockauto shows a hydraulic power steering pump and a pully-driven a/c compressor for the 2005 Civic hybrid, and the engine photos I could find look like they’re driven off the crankshaft like a non-hybrid.

The power steering parts are cataloged wrong, look at the rack and pinion steering gear.

Thanks to everyone who tried to help me. I ended up buying a new, used 2017 Mazda CX-5 suv. Now I have to find help for that car. I can’t believe I’ve only had this car, which I love, for only a month and already I have a problem with it. The auto display which shows the speed limit, etc., doesn’t work and I also don’t have access in settings for many things that I used to have access to.
I just want to say thanks!!! You know in the above “Make and Model”, once I put in mazda, the model to choose is greyed out. I’m not allowed to put in my model, CX-5.

1 Like

@cdaquila something to pass on to the web lackies Carolyn

Make and model from the scroll down won’t appear in the post, that has never worked. This is why so many people omit the make and model from their post.

I think it shows up in the red bar at the top underneath the title of the post. On this particular post, I see the title, then Maintenance/Repairs, then Honda

Those are “tags”, only the make can be selected or “brakes”, “transmission” etc.

Gotcha
:+1:

I’m still curious as to why the hybrid Honda couldn’t still be driven even with a failed hybrid battery. That seems like a big design flaw. Toyota hybrids seem to be the reliability and durability standard of excellence, by far.

The answer to the Mazda problem might be that its battery is failing, or its connections are in need of cleaning and securing. Or there may be some info buried in the owners manual that will solve the problem.

I dread getting a new car, and that big fat (maybe more than one) owners manual. Or worse, online manual.

I wouldn’t take a free 16 year old Toyota or Honda hybrid for free, I see too many in the shop with failed high voltage batteries. Friday a 2010 Lexus GS450h came in with a failed HV battery, $6,000 for a replacement.

I think any 16 year old car is a candidate for a major repair, be it a hybrid battery pack or a transmission for a conventional drivetrain. The aftermarket has options for hybrid batteries that cost significantly less. I don’t think the quality is a high as a Toyota part, but the factory battery in your example lasted 10 years. Does the car need to last another 10 years?

Few weeks ago we replaced the engine in a 2008 Yukon. Cost $8000. How is a major repair like that any different than a $6000 repair on a 10 year old Lexus?

Remember, hybrids are about saving fuel, not saving money.

2 Likes