Can you drive a Hybrid Civic even after the hyrbid battery has died?

I have a 2003 hybrid honda civic and the IMA light recently came on. When I took it in they said it needed a new battery and quoted me $2,800 then they said it would cost $4,500 because they also have to replace some part of the computer when they replace the battery. Can I drive it without the hybrid battery?

If the car will drive, then you can drive it…Then you can post back here in the “General” forum; “Driving impressions for a dead hybrid”…

Get in touch with Honda asap–corporate not local dealer. It may be under an extended warranty. Good luck.

Yes, you’ll just run the gas engine more till you save the dough for repairs.

Google “Used honda parts” and do a nation-wide search for a used (salvage) battery. Install it or have it installed and unload the car before that battery dies…

When you drive a hybrid, replacing the hybrid battery should be expected, kind of like replacing a normal battery in a normal car. Batteries don’t last forever, so you should budget for the cost of replacement. Theoretically, you should save more in fuel usage than it costs to replace the battery, so hopefully, you’ve been saving the money you’ve been saving on fuel. Realistically, this is a clear indication that driving a hybrid is a costly trade-off compared to normal cars.

If you aren’t going to replace the battery, sell the car and buy a non-hybrid. This is similar to the question, “I drive a Ferrari, but I don’t want to pay for the high octane fuel it requires. Can I put cheap gas in it?” If you can’t afford the battery, you can’t afford a hybrid.

Thankfully, there are alternatives. There are companies that will just replace the dead cells in your hybrid battery pack. You might be able to find one of these companies online. Also, Honda might be able to help defray the cost. However, if you are going to continue to drive a hybrid, budget for repairs like you would for any other car.

If the battery is fairly new, then replacing failed (defective) cells is an option…But if the batteries designed service life has been reached, replacing individual cells is a waste of money…

“But if the batteries designed service life has been reached, replacing individual cells is a waste of money…”

I would expect that as well. Chances are all the cells are in about the same shape and replacing them one at a time will be a bother and likely cost more than replacing the whole battery.

My thoughts were… Wouldn’t it be nice if when the battery finally died it could be removed and I could keep driving the car as a “beater” on gas only. Too simple I guess :slight_smile:
Perhaps a kit.

Chances are, the electronic control system will not permit that…The battery is a key design element of the car and I doubt it will function without one in place…It would be cheaper to buy a new battery than to redesign the car…Perhaps a salvage yard battery?

Not sure why this thread came back up, but the answer is NO. Thus car does not have a starter, the motor is started with the electric motor which is powered by the hybrid battery only. No battery no start.

As long as it’s back up. .

they said it would cost $4,500 because they also have to replace some part of the computer when they replace the battery.

This. This right here is why I dislike hybrids. I bet OP did not save $4,500 worth of gas in 8 years.

$4500 is far too expensive for a new hybrid battery on your Civic Hybrid. I got a refurbished battery at $2700 for my 2003 HCH. You should look elsewhere. $4500 is the cost of a brand new battery.

You should also look into a lithium ion replacement for your battery. A hybrid maintenance shop where I live is working with a third-party manufacturer in NC, which is developing a lithium ion battery for older model year Civic Hybrids. May even be a cheaper option for you, if they’re on the market soon.

And I’d definitely say I’ve saved $2700 on fuel just in the past three years.

What kind of battery did the '03 Civic hybrid have? Were they using Ni-mh batteries in them back then?

It would be fun to play with this one…Install the latest Lithium Polyester battery, the biggest one you can afford, and convert it into a plug-in electric / hybrid…Make a Volt out of it…

Thread is more than 6 years old. Don’t you think this has been resolved by now?

It was a spammer. They don’t care.

1 Like