2005 Dodge Ram 1500 - Won't go into any gear

parked,went to leave and it wont go into any gear, drive or reverse or 4 wheel drive , was perfect,shift cable seems fine its moving as it should.

This is a possibility…

2005 Dodge Ram 1500 Transmission Failure - Ram Truck won’t move!Acts like it’s stuck in neutral FIX! - YouTube

2 Likes

Are you able to move it by pushing? i.e. are all four wheels locked up? Or do all 4 or 2 turn freely?
If all four wheels seem to turn freely, check your auto transmission fluid level.

That is the most logical reason for what happened, being able to lock it in 4WD eliminates one drive shaft, u-joint, a part in the diff, really don’t think it would break both drive shafts at the same time (unless OP was really having fun in it lol)…
It could have broken the flexplate, torque converter, front pump, something else in the transmission, something in the transfer case…

But before I removed anything other than the pan, I would see if the filter dropped and lost it’s ability to pickup the fluid and pump it… GM’s 440T4 (and I’m sure others) had the same problem…

Something else that could have happened is the shift cable could have become disconnected from the shift lever on the transmission…

That too… :point_up_2: