2005 Dodge Magnum R/T transmission

I have a 2005 Dodge Magnum R/T with 130,000 miles. I just got it in June 2012. A mechanic at the Dodge dealer told me I needed to change/flush the trans. I have been told that you should not do this to a car with over 80,000 miles. Something to do with the trans getting used to the old fluid and when you add new thinner fluid it caused problems. Is this true? Should I flush the trans?

Follow the fluid change intervals and recommendations in the car’s owner’s manual.

I don’t know if you should flush it, but you should change the fluid every 30,000 to 40,000 miles. If you have access to the innards through a cover plate, pull it off and clean the filter. Someone more familiar with the Dodge can tell you whether flushing is OK.

Do what the owner’s manual says. If the transmission fails with the new fluid, it was going to fail anyway with the old fluid, only probably sooner.

I don’t know the full history of the car. I am not sure of the maintenance. I just don’t want my trans to blow up.

If you don’t change the fluid, it is guaranteed to fail.

This is just a myth that refuses to die, sort of like the one about all Dodge transmissions are complete garbage that are guaranteed to fail very early in life, and the one that says all Japanese cars will run forever with no maintenance while all domestic makes are throwaway junk that breaks down all the time. Myths.

Actually, replacing the fluid (and filter if it’s serviceable) is an excellent way to extend the life of your transmission (better late than never), provided you use the correct fluid, which is probably ATF+4 in your case. Check your owner’s manual as this is vital to your transmission’s health. In fact, this is how the Mopar transmission myth came into being. ATF+4 is not the same as the cheapest stuff you can find at Walmart.

I have had many Dodge and Chryslers and have never had a problem with the transmissions.

I have only put 3000 miles on the car. Every thing that is “wrong” with it is inherited. I will get the trans done as soon as possible.
I am not having any problems with the trans.
Thanks all for your input.