2005 Chrysler PT Cruiser timing belt

I was recently told I should replace the timing belt in my PT Cruiser. I was given an unbelievable estimate on what it would cost to replace it. Then I was told it could go “just like that with no warning.” I am wondering if there is a way to check the timing belt? We bought it used in 2015 and have no idea what kind of work was done before we bought it.

No there is not a way to check the timing belt . The manual gives two numbers - the miles at which it should be changed or the number of years . When you consider the amount of engine damage that will happen when it breaks you will be money ahead to change it now.
Now it is possible if you purchase a Carfax report you may find that it was done and when .

1 Like

There is confusion on whether or not a PT has an interference engine or not. I called Gates to see if they could clear it up and was told that on this engine, the valves will not hit the pistons , but if the engine is running really high rpms when the belt breaks, the valves MAY hit each other.

1 Like

What is the number of years it should be replaced?

7 years or 105K miles, whichever come first. Your '05 replacement history is unknown, so you are at 13 years on the original or 6 years on the replacement. either way, it is time.

1 Like