2005 230C Turbo/Mercedes

I purchased this car in February 2007 and do not really understand the “Turbo” concept. I have been told cars can run on regular and that super is just been a marketing push. Can I use regular in this type of car or will I screw it up?

Well, it’s not a ‘turbo’ (where the exhaust drives a turbine that drives a turbine compressing the incoming air). It is supercharged, where a belt drives an air pump compressing the incoming air. And I imagine the manual says premium is ‘required’, so that’s what I would use. Fuel grade is particularly important with cars that are either turbo- or super-charged.

Thanks, but it does say TURBO on the car.

Well what is it turbo or supercharged? google didn’t help me figure this out.I only found reference for “kompressor” cars (supercharged)

No matter what is says on the trunk lid of your car, what is most important is the information that is contained in the Owner’s Manual. If the manual says that premium gas is “recommended”, then you can safely use regular gas, albeit with reduced power and probably also reduced gas mileage. If the manual say that premium gas is “required”, then using any lesser octane gas is at your own financial peril. And, since repairing a Mercedes is very expensive, I believe that I have used the term “peril” appropriately.

I would strongly recommend that you begin reading the Owner’s Manual that came with this car. It will answer questions such as the grade of gas that you should use, as well as virtually everything else that you need to know for the safe and economical operation of the car.

It’s a German car with forced induction. You’d be wise to use premium.

It?s a ?C230? Kompressor Mercedes, not a ?230 C?. If your Mercedes trunk lid reads ?230 C? and ?Turbo?, somebody has put phony badges on the car. You need to go to a Mercedes dealer and have them look at the car and verify it via the VIN number. C class supercharged Mercedes should have a ?Kompressor? badge on the trunk lid.

A 2005 C230 is always a Kompressor; it is supercharged as a2listener said. fueleconomy.gov indicates that premium is at least recommended, and I’d always use it on that basis. I suspect that the compression is high enough that premium fuel is required. The answer is in the glove box.

As others have said, no such animal. Get a friend who knows cars to look under the hood, see if it’s a ‘Kompressor’ or just a regular engine with fancy lables on the trunk.

Is this a US car? Or is it Canadian or European?