2004 vw passat

I am due for my 80K service and one shop says they routinely replace the waterpump at 80K. But the dealership says don’t bother. ANy thoughts or experience out there?

When is your timing belt due for replacement? In order to avoid paying twice for essentially the same labor, you should replace the water pump when the timing belt is replaced.

THE TIMING BELT, IS, APPARENTLY DUE FOR REPLACEMENT AT THIS SERVICE, SO YOU THINK THAT IT MAKES SENSE THEN TO REPLACE THE WATER PUMP AT THE SAME TIME, BEC. THEYRE ARE NEAR ONE ANOTHER? THANKS FOR ADVISING

The water pump may be driven by the timing belt, which is why it makes a lot of sense to replace them at the same time. It’s cheap insurance against having to pay all the labor again if the pump goes bad before the next timing belt replacement. I suggest replacing the water pump with the timing belt. Have them install a new thermostat and radiator cap, too. Then the car will warm up quickly and the cooling system will be in tip-top shape.

It absolutely does make economic sense. If you don’t replace the water pump when the timing belt is replaced, a subsequent failure of the water pump will mean–guess what–removing and reinstalling the timing belt in order to access the water pump. This is a proactive maintenance procedure that is more likely to save you money in the long run.

I believe that timing belt is due at 80K on your car. Since the cost of that job is mostly labor and the same labor would be charged to replace the water pump, I would replace the water pump now as most owners do. It is cheap to do now.