2004 Toyota Highlander - trouble starting

Car would not start as it normally does, seemed like a possible dead battery. I shook the shifter back and forth and vehicle started.
Noticed that the clock had set itself to 1 o clock, i reset clock to proper time. I shut the vehicle off and once again had to move the shift lever back and forth and then the vehicle started.
I noticed the clock once again had rest itself to 1 o clock again.
Any thoughts as to what is possibly wrong?..Thank-You.

Manual or automatic transmission ?

automatic transmission

Admittedly, this is not that likely as the cause of the problem, but…
Does this Toyota have a remote start system?

I ask because my friend’s 2008 Rav has a genuine Toyota remote start system, and when it was malfunctioning, it led to all manner of bizarre electrical problems–including the clock resetting itself.

Loose or corroded battery connections could cause this. Disconnect and clean the battery posts (with an inexpensive battery post tool, and the connectors, then re-tighten. Might work. If not do the basic alternator/battery check. Before first start of the day the battery should measure 12.6 volts. Immediately after starting the engine, 13.5-15.5 volts. A problematic transmission neutral safety switch may be involved also.

1 Like

MANY THANKS FOR ALL THE INPUT. BATTERY CONNECTIONS ARE CLEAN AND TIGHT. TOMORROW MORNING I WILL CHECK THE BATTERY CONDITION AS WELL AS CHECK TO SEE THAT THE ALTERNATOR IS DOING ITS JOB…ANY AND ALL SUGGESTIONS ARE GREATLY APPRECIATED…Thank-You…

I’m betting on neutral safety switch.

1 Like

Thanks for the comment…We ll see…

Well the problem turned out to be a defective, worn battery. The battery tested out at 12.6 volts, BUT…the cold cranking amps turned out to be 364…it should have been 795 cold cranking amps…Whew…I m so glad that it s fixed…MANY THANKS TO THOSE WHO TRIED TO HELP…GOD BLESS AND MANY THANKS…

1 Like

Good diagnosis job there OP. Glad you are back on the road with a reliably cranking Highlander. BTW, Last time I bought a new battery for my Corolla I decided to try Walmart’s less expensive version, around $50, and it has been working reliably for close to 3 years now.

Thanks for the reply. Being that there is so much electronics, I went ahead and purchased a 5 year battery. Batteries here in Az. are known for a rapid deteriation factor because of the heat.
All is good…Take Care…