2004 Toyota Highlander tire/heat issues

Bought the tires there free rotation, that’s why I do it every 5k as that’s when I change oil. Synthetic. Just interesting how women are treated and that the same tire ( which shouldn’t be the same tire) always loses air. Things that make ya say HMMMMMMMMMMM.

Why are you so sure you’ve got a bad solder joint?

Have you already taken the ac control panel apart and seen the bad solder joints?

If it quacks like a duck and waddles like a duck it’s probably a duck. Correct? Read the link; all my symptoms are the same. I rarely use A/C a half mile from the Big Pond.

I read the link in its entirety

That link is talking about a 2004 Highlander . . . different beast entirely

I already told you that

Just because some person in a vehicle 10 years older than yours, and an entirely different control panel had a certain problem, doesn’t mean you have the identical problem

You haven’t even taken the control panel apart and determined just what your problem is

Why should a mechanic take your word, that your control panel has a broken solder joint?

That’s not the way the auto repair business works

I corrected my initial heading. Mine is a 2004. I’m aware of how the auto repair business works. That’s my main premise. If a man went in and told them it was a bad connection I just have to wonder what would happen. It’s long out of warrantee with 134,000 miles. No one is gonna violate that. As I said I wanna know who will tear it apart and solder? I just wish one of these “mechanics” would so I’d have the pleasure of saying “I told you so” :slight_smile:

My comments are entirely justified, because this discussion is still called “2014 Toyota Highlander tire/heat issues”

Until you correct that, most everybody will rightfully think you have a 2014 Highlander, not a 2004 model

If you pay a mechanic to resolder your ac control panel, and that turns out NOT to be the problem, that’s when things get ugly and the customer starts pointing fingers at the mechanic, and threatens to NOT pay the bill

I suggest you either solder it yourself, or do as the other guys have mentioned and bring the control panel to an electronics shop. The shops that fix vcrs and tvs . . . there’s still a few around, actually . . . will probably be more comfortable soldering this, versus the average auto repair shop

Or one of those shops that specialize in computer hardware repairs

Geez I thought Radio Shack would fix it. But they ain’t around. Maybe you wouldn’t have to repeat yourself if you followed the tread closer. If a mechanic did look in there why would he solder a part that doesn’t need soldering. I’ll go back to the lamp cord for that analogy. Not every body is having problems with the title and someone else pointed out my typo. Close to one of your post if I remember correctly.

Here’s another great site. Read a way down the comments and see what Leslie has to say.

http://www.allthepages.org/archives/2010/11/toyota-highlander-heater-control-head-repair/

Some cool pics also.

PPSS Just for you I edited my title. Usually can’t do that on most forums. Thanks for your insight. I just might tackle it when it’s warmer than 3 degrees F. outside.

Please don’t insult me

I followed the thread from the start. I read every single reply

But until the last few hours, it said “2014 Toyota Highlander tire/heat issues”

It was kind of hard to ignore that, because was in big, bold letters

We’re trying to help you :

Don’t ruin it by implying WE are the ones with the problem

Considering YOU were the one asking for help, I figured you might be more grateful for the advice you received

I guess that’s expecting too much :frowning2:

Even if Radio Shack was still around they would not do the kind of work the OP is convinced they need.

1 Like

@WindingRoad, I don’t know how handy you are, but for $20 you can buy a nice set of hand tools (screwdrivers and nutdrivers), and follow that link’s instructions, take it out and see if yours looks like the one shown. If so, I am sure you can find a computer/TV/electrician repairman to fix it for you. Or, as mentioned in the article, even a community college with an electronics class. Radio Shack, BTW, was over the counter sales-never did repairs to my knowledge.
Or, again for less than $20, Harbor Freight or even online, you can buy a soldering iron, some solder, a desoldering bulb, and watch some youtube videos and have a crack at this yourself.

But, he can’t see your tires via cyberspace.
:wink:

1 Like

I’ve used RadioShack for over 40 years…I’ve never found one that FIXED anything. They sold the parts to fix it, but they didn’t have a repair center.

1 Like

Radio Shack is strictly a retailer. They never did repair work.

1 Like

Did Radio Shack go somewhere? Pretty sure they are still here in Arizona…

Offhand, I can’t think of any remaining Radio Shack stores in my area, except for one or two that function as Sprint wireless retailers, and have very little function other than selling cell phones and plans for that company.

I know that…that’s what I was commenting on. They don’t repair…just sell.

There’s still a few radio shacks in my area

The guys working there only talk smack and hit on the ladies who are in the store :stuck_out_tongue:

There’s still one open in Manchester, NH. I was in there just before Christmas getting a difficult-to-find battery. Whether it’ll be open next year at this time is questionable. I stop in once in a while for the odd electronics part, and it’s always pretty empty.

I think there’s still Radio Shacks around, but I’ve never seen one that would fix a broken electronics part for you. Perhaps one of the staff there would do it as a side job in some stores if you asked. But fixing broken electronic gadgets was never a service they offered as far as I remember. There are still places that will fix electronics for you , at least in larger cities btw. An auto-electric shop for example might take the job on if you provided the instructions on what needed to be done. It would be on an hourly basis and they wouldn’t guarantee the results I expect.

Electronics gadgets these days are designed to be cheap to make, and to make them cheap the compromise is they don’t worry whether they can be repaired or not. Like I say above, the traditional method to solve this type of problem is to either buy a new module or obtain one from a wrecked car. If you happen to know an electronics hobbyist, that’s another way sometimes.

I’m not insulting you. I admitted my typo about 2-3 posts in. And another poster mentioned it also. Tell me again how you missed it if you read “every single post”. I don’t need help telling me what is not wrong. I know what is wrong. If you read my FIRST post you would see I wasn’t asking what is wrong with it. Heat, cold, heat, cold would imply a connection problem. I asked who would fix it. If you had read my last link you would have found that a Toyota “mechanic” is telling customers what’s wrong another is fixing it by soldering the LOOSE CONNECTION. Telling me I am wrong is not really helping me.

If you want to be a hero … fill in the blank.