2004 Tacoma Stalling

I have a 2004 Toyota Tacoma TRD. I have a strange, intermittant issue with my truck where it stalls out while driving, or I am unable to start it after it sits for more than an hour or two.

The problem started in September initially being difficult to start first thing in the morning. I was cranking the engine for 8-10 seconds trying to get it to start with no luck. Normally 1-3 seconds will start the truck. I tried numerous cranks after 3-4 tries, I typically get out of the truck and come back in 5-10 minutes. After the delay, I am usually able to get it to start on the first try.

If it isnt the cold start issue, the truck occasionally stalls out while driving. It has done this several times, at several different speeds and conditions. The most alarming time was traveling on the highway at about 65MPH, it was like someone turned off the engine. Total loss of power.

I took the truck to the dealership to have the problem checked out. I have an extended warranty. They initially told me it was a loose wire in the fuse box which cost $45 to repair. I had them perform the 60000 mile service on the truck and replaced the spark plugs too (tune up). The problem came back…

Now they are either unable to reproduce the problem (intermittant), or experience it as intermittantly as I do and cant complete their tests. Their suggestions were to replace the engine wiring harness (based on a service bulletin) or replace a fuel suction hose (again based on a service bulletin). Both repairs arent covered under my warranty and are very expensive (close to $1000 each). To make matters worse, the dealership is telling me they cant guarantee that either recommendation will actually fix the problem.

Any ideas on what I can do?