2004 Subaru Outback

The check engine light comes on and the cruse control button light starts flashing.

The cruse control will not work.

Then just s it came on the check engine light goes off and the cruse control works.

I had it checked out by a local shop. They think it is the catalyst converter???

OR

One of the exhaust system sensors.

Well we took it to our local exhaust repair center and they said yup its the rear sensor so we replaced it for $325.00. They assured me it was fixed.

Guess what the light is still coming on and off like i did before.

Would you have any suggestions about how to fix this problem?

Thank you,

Tony.

Did anyone take a look at the stored codes that tell you why that CEL came on? If so what was the exact code. Format = P1234

Local exhaust repair center=a good place to go for exhaust work.
Local exhaust repair center=very bad place to go for anything other than exhaust work.

Was this Midas, Meineke, or Monro, where the mechanics work on commission?
(Translation: The more unnecessary parts they install, the higher their pay.)

Have the stored trouble codes read by Auto Zone, Advance Auto, or another auto parts retailer, and then come back to report the exact numerical codes.

After some of us give you some specifics regarding the trouble codes, you need to locate a local independent mechanic. The guys working at places like Midas, Meineke, Monro, Sears, Pep Boys, AAMCO and other chains are…I will try to be diplomatic…NOT the best mechanics. Find an indy guy for competent, honest repair work with lower prices than the chains charge for their substandard work.