2000 Subaru Outback Check Engine Light

I own a 2000 Subaru Outback Legacy. The Check Engine Light (CEL) goes on and off at very specific times when the gas gauge is on the 1/4 tank, 1/2 tank with EVERY gas filling. I was first told by the dealership (2 years ago) that it was the gas cap and not to worry about it. Now they tell me it was the oxygen sensor for the catylitic converter. They changed the sensor (a $28 part #22641aa00a) for $172 then they tell me it’s not the sensor but the catylitic converter which will cost $1700 to replace new!!! A) Do they have the right to charge me so much for a $28 part (not including labor) B) Do I have any other options with replacing the Cat. Converter?

I bought this car new and have replaced the radiator, hoses and belts, brakes and rotors, recall on the head gasket for the cooling system has been done - is there also a recall for the head gasket for the oil since I also have an oil leak? It still gets 25 mpg average city and highway.

Time for another car?

That CEL (check engine light) is just a kid in class waving her hand trying to get you attention because she has the answer. You need to have the codes read. Some places will read them for FREE. Try Autozone or Advanced Auto Parts. Get the exact code (like P1234) not just their translation into English and post it back here.