2004 Subaru legacy gasket issues - chances that Subaru will pay for it? I can't afford too!

not so close - but good to know - always good to know about good mechanics! I have a feeling I won’t be able to go to Subaru tomorrow- snow storm - more time to imagine them saying yes!

The utility companies where I live charge to take a credit card payment.

that is sad - not here in Boston:)

“The result is that I wind up with well over $350 per year in refund checks & rebate certificates, and there is really no downside to this plan–at least for me. If somebody has good self-control, it is entirely possible to use credit cards even if one is in fairly tight circumstances financially.”

Speaking as a vendor–and this is common throughout the automotive industry and I imagine other businesses as well–we are tired of buying your plane tickets to Hawaii. You realize all these rebates, air miles, bonus points, etc. have to come from somewhere. Part of it comes from annual fees, part of it from the interest other cardholders pay, and part of it comes from the businesses where you use the card. So called “rewards” cards generally have a higher processing fee and may take longer to process than generic credit cards or debit cards.

Say you own a store, and you sell me a widget for $100. If I pay cash, you get $100 today. If I pay with a debit card, you get $98.50 tomorrow. If I pay with my airline miles card, you get $97.00 Thursday. So a business owner with half a brain looks at the credit card fees he pays every month, and adds it in to his expenses and raises his rates accordingly–to everyone. (The only exception to this I can think of is gas station cash/credit pricing.) Look around, your rewards are being paid by the people next to you. Everyone is paying a higher price because of rewards cards.

I’m not saying my family doesn’t use credit cards for regular expenses.

“Speaking as a vendor–and this is common throughout the automotive industry and I imagine other businesses as well–we are tired of buying your plane tickets to Hawaii.”

Then you should pressure all of the credit card companies to cease these types of rewards!

Actually, I believe that the folks who lack self-control over their spending, and who run constant balances on their credit cards make it richly rewarding for the credit card companies to do business, in spite of reward programs. I am probably the proverbial “worst nightmare” for the banks & credit card companies, but surely you can’t blame me for availing myself of something that they are offering. If those programs didn’t exist, I wouldn’t be able to avail myself of them.

Incidentally, I don’t get airplane tickets to Hawaii (or any other place) from my credit card issuers.

:-))

alright so back to my topic here - It’s snowing - see if I can get to the dealer by 3 pm. I will for the fun of it ask them about the retorquing…see what they say.

I checked with my friend who basically has the same car - but 140,000 miles on it and his mechanic is nursing it along with the conditioner added to the oil or something - what ever the conditioner they say people use and most agree it does nothing.

If you want to discuss credit cards happy to do that- but this is a very important topic here to me and you all have given me some very valuable information and I really appreciate…and i will report back if I make it to the dealer today. see if I do. hope - I don’t have too may open days this month to do this.

The conditioner I know of for Subarus is added to the coolant, not the oil.

And I’m happy to use every credit card perk they’ll give me, nothing wrong with that.

ok - they are closing early - try again next week - i so wanted to get the ball rolling with all of this - oh well - more time to sending positive energy and manifest a good result for me!

oh…I did not know where the conditioner was added…I don’t think I have any coolant leaking - just oil. And must be a very slow oil leak.

I am not against credit cards and the perks - just wanted to stay on topic here that is all and I am very appreciative of everyone’s knowledge and help! you all have been fabulous!

Another thing you should look into with the car maintenance is the other fluids for it. Due to the mileage you may be getting close to the recommended fluid changes for some things. Your Owner’s Manual will tell what is needed and when. If Subaru declines on the head gasket change perhaps they will agree to re-torque the heads for you. If you are using less than a quart of oil every couple of months this is really a pretty minor issue.

It sounds like starting a repair savings fund is out of the question at this point in time but hopefully that can happen in the near future when income gets better for you. From what you say you may be eligible for some income tax credits to help you out a little bit at tax time.

I appreciate the information - you say - if I lose less then a court of oil every few months I can just stay on top of my oil levels? This is the information that i find helpful.

Yes- when my income goes up- I love the idea of a car savings acct - it will be on my wish list for sure…I know I will not be like this forever - it’s just now.

I was thinking of mentioning the retorguing heads when I talk to them…make sure I write this down and get the correct phrase…this is helpful. I will check on the fluids- but one thing that Subaru was never good about - I would take my car there when it was under the 6 year warranty - at 6 years I was at something like 30,000. They never new what maintenance to do as my mileage was so low…so it was always a guessing game. Wonder what they will say - but I am going to go with all my papers o what has been done - so if they say have you had this done - I can look it up- I save everything for my records.

yes- I am doing well with my taxes as I am contracting and I took a loss last year - yes- that is very true…

My assumption is that the head gasket is seeping at the orifice that feeds oil pressure to the cylinder head and if so I would certainly go along with the suggestion that the oil remain topped off, which is always a good habit, and letting it seep. Only if the leak worsens to the point of a constant drip or worse would it require any expense to correct. I have seen several imports seeping at that orifice that never seemed to become a serious problem.

are you suggesting that I can simply do nothing ? I was told that it would get worse if I did nothing - are you implying that it would not necessarily get worse ?

The leak may get worse over time if things loosen up more than they have already, or it may not, but as long as you make sure the oil stays within a quart of being topped off you aren’t going suffer more damage. Whether you fix the leak now or later the cost of the repair isn’t going to change if you end up with the bill. You just need to buy a little more oil than you would have normally. If Subaru won’t fix this and you really can’t afford the repair cost at this time then no worries. Just make sure the oil level stays topped off and fix it when you can better afford the repair.

" are you implying that it would not necessarily get worse ?"

I’m not implying it!
In fact, there are several forms that head gasket problems can take.
One form–the least severe–us what you are currently experiencing.

However, that exterior oil leak can morph into one of the other forms, including…

oil leaking into the coolant (not imminently fatal, although more serious than an exterior oil leak)
or
coolant leaking into the motor oil (this can be quickly fatal)

Unfortunately, nobody can predict how long you will experience only exterior oil leakage, and whether or not it morphs into one of the other manifestations of head gasket leakage.

sure sounds to me like sooner rather than later I should this taken care of - but that I need not do this tomorrow or else! I understand. My car is in really good shape inside other wise- though I do need new struts I know - but otherwise- good- so I don’t want to wait so long that this gets much worse and costs more money and ruins other parts of my car- but I get it - can buy a little bit of time if I keep up with the oil. So - if it’s no more than 1 quart low I am good ? How can you tell if it’s only 1 quart low or more ? I do know how to check with the dip stick but I just recall lines saying filled or below filled…hopefully won’t come to this - I am still thinking positively! and again - very thankful for the advice and information it’s been quite an education and now when I talk to any mechanic about this I have some foundational information to support me in negotiating whatever i need to.

Myself and everyone here is hoping to give ypu some insight to make the best decision regarding your car problem, @eelise. For me, it is somewhat certain that eventually the head gasket will fail at the critical cylinder seal area and at that point you will have no choice but to have it repaired. But with your minimal use of the car the current leak appears to be minimal and manageable and may remain so for quite a few miles. I would never advise ignoring the oil problem but considering your stated situation, if there is no help from the dealership regarding the cost of the repair I would feel comfortable in advising that you drive the car as it is but pay careful attention to the temperature and leaks and add oil when needed. Opinions vary. Good luck.

Even with a car that is known to have no oil consumption at all, it’s a good idea to check the oil level roughly every other tank of gasoline.
Try not to even let the oil get down a full quart. Low oil levels translates to hotter engine oil and in turn that just makes any potential oil sludging or coking problem even worse. Keep an eye on the dipstick and keep the oil at the upper mark.

Why do you think that your Subaru needs struts? Struts have really never been an issue with Subarus and especially at such a low mileage.

I agree with Rod Knox. Your engine has an oil passage at the right front corner, where the cylinder head meets the engine block, near the oil filter. If it’s leaking oil then that’s where the leak is. If your car is leaking oil and only oil and is not exhibiting any of the signs of coolant leaking from a head gasket you should be fine to drive the car for the time being. Just keep the oil level up. You do know how to check and add oil, right? If not ask someone to show you. It’s quite simple.

If the oil leak gets bad enough you’ll first notice a burning smell, which would be the oil leaking onto the hot exhaust pipe. As that gets worse you’ll start seeing smoke. That will be the oil leaking in large enough quantity to make smoke as it burns off the pipes.

I do know how to check my oil yes! I know that much. I do smell oil burning- just not all the time which is how I came to take my car in to be looked at to begin with. I know for a while I have needed new struts as many mechanics have told me when i can afford it - get it taken care of but its not an immediate safety issue.

I get that I should at some point fix this gasket issue is I plan/need to keep this car going. But- helpful to know that if I keep on top of the oil I am not in any immediate danger. I should check my oil soon actually it’s been a month since this was diagnosed in my car.

you all have been great - I have learned alot - and that is very important to me as I know a uneducated woman going into a garage…of any kind -is a target for being taken advantage of - but I have a rather strong personalty and that does not happen so much to me - I always come armed with knowledge…next week see what Subaru says and curious what they say about the condition as well - I have only heard from one mechanic about my car - only one opinion - from what you all are saying I certainly have time to hear from others- I am in no immediate danger if I keep my oil level good. atleast the next few months.