2004 Subaru legacy gasket issues - chances that Subaru will pay for it? I can't afford too!

Just be sure you monitor the oil condition when you check its level. If it gets foamy, or starts to look kind of like chocolate milk or weak coffee with cream, that’s a sign that coolant is getting into the oil. At that point, you have to decide between getting the head gasket replaced, or driving it until the engine dies and then getting the whole engine replaced.

(edit) I found a picture of what you’re looking for:

this is very helpful. I checked my oil today - roughly a month when it was last checked. Either they put extra oil in my car or I hvae lost very little oil. My oil was full and it looked black/grey not brown at all. so- I have some time I see and when my oil is no longer dark I guess I need to get moving and do something. Very helpful - Thanks so very much!

Thanks for everyone’s help!!!

anyone want to wish me luck I am waiting here at the dealership - hoping…and imaging that it works itself out.

Ok guys…I have my documentation from Subaru - waiting to hear their answer- but what was interesting was my gasket is leaking coolant. It is leaking a little bit of oil - but much more coolant. And- they did not charge me at all! I did not hear that from the first place I took my car that it was leaking coolant. Maybe they said that I missed that. This means this is a worse problem than I had thought - correct ? One of the mechanics there told me a least for the next few weeks if I check my coolant once per week I will be ok - would to hear any thoughts guys…and I am still imaging that they will pay for it!

I don’t know if anyone is here to read this - Subaru has offered $500 off the repair - nice but…my local shop is $600 less - i told them that and emphasized what low mileage my car is - can they do better…there very nice man is asking his supervisor! Any comments here?

What is fee for repair at dealer?

When I got Toyota to help with an out of warranty repair bill, they offered to reimburse me after I paid for the repair from ANY REPAIR SHOP. It did not have to be the dealer. Given that your mechanic is $600 cheaper, ask Subaru to reimburse you $500 or what ever is finally agreed upon with proof of payment to any shop.

my local place is $2000 for repair - Subaru is $2600. They said they would reimburse $500. They said it would have to be at a Subaru dealer. Still waiting for my 2nd call. The guy said he would ask his supervisor if I could get more off. I explained that it saves me no money if they only give me $500. off. See what happens - but they are responding - they did not say a complete no!

Are you saying the dealer would be $2600 - 500 = $2100? If that’s the case I’d use the dealer.

Your coolant leak is the more typical problem, I think, and it does need to be fixed.

Having a coolant leak is a more serious issue though both are important. If you can handle getting the job done now that would be best. If you have to wait then keep a very close eye on things until you can get the job done. You don’t want to have to replace the engine.

At 500 off they’re not losing anything. Even if SOA stepped in and agreed to perform warranty head gaskets on their dime and offered half off you would still be paying the full tab.
The only thing is that the dealer would be making a warranty minimum from SOA instead of the full customer pay price. That gets into another story…

Essentially, this is a numbers shell game and there’s nothing you can do about it. It’s either pay up, trade/sell the car, or find someone who is willing to take a stab at retightening the head bolts.

so glad you guys are here - feel like I have a support group behind me:) One of you asked for clarification about the cost - its $2460 for dealer and $2000 at a local shop.

Also- I was looking over my records - I had the timing belt and water pump- thermostat gasket and t belt tension assembly - thermostat replaced may 2013 - could that have anything to do with this and I assume that means I don’t need these things replaced again. the dealer did not know that i had these things done- they had all of these things on the estimate - could I take off a chunk of money if I don’t have these things done with the gasket fix ? would that bring me down to $2000 at the dealer ? And - if it’s the same price - am i better off at the dealer bc of the 1 year warranty on their work? I can’t imagine there being a problem within the first year anyway…thoughts guys ?

It might reduce it very slightly. I would still want a new belt if there was any chance the current one was dripped on.

The major cost is all the labor which isn’t reduced because of the prior work.

oh…if the belt of only a year old - still replace that and all the stuff that goes with it ? If the belt is dripped on that ruins it ? I got all excited hoping this would make a difference…and connection between a head gasket leak and a new water pump and thermostat ?

No connection between the leak and the work you had done. Everything they replaced is still usable except maybe the belt.

but when you say belt- does that mean literally just the belt or what I think they call the assembly which it looks like is really several things…what is the t belt assembly? I know half of the cost here is that they have to take the whole engine out - must be fun:)

how long do timing belts last ? Or is that not the issue since they would be taking my engine out and not good to miss the chance of a new timing belt.

Minor issue while I am here- I need new wiper blades- are they hard to put on ? Can I do this myself and are wiper blades all the same ? thought I would as my car team here while I am at it!

@eelise The belt lasts a while, depending upon the car (mine is scheduled to replace every 60K miles, for example). But the thing about a timing belt is that the belt itself is cheap (well, ~$50, it looks like), and the labor to get it off and back on properly is pretty expensive. So, if they’re taking the belt off you might as well replace it (especially if there’s a chance it was damaged by dripping fluid). The idler pulleys and tensioner that are installed with a belt are likely still in fine shape, though.

Wiper blades are super easy! Just go to Wal-Mart, look in their little book, buy the blades it tells you to. You can spend anywhere from $6 to $30 per blade (I like somewhere in the middle, the $13 Michelin ones do pretty well and I change them before each winter). The instructions for installation are on the back of the packaging or inside it, and it takes about thirty seconds per blade.

Thank you! Does Target have blades ? Ok - so only the timing belt replaced all the other various can stay and someone said it won’t bring the price down much - oh well!