2004 pontiac Vibe question

during my oil change this weekend, the dealer said I needed an air induction services ($150) and the brake fluid flushed ($150). Car has 33000 miles on it, just under warranty.

The owner’s manual says nothing about either of these services being done. I googled with no results AIR INDUCTION SERVICE.

Do I need these two services now or is the dealer looking for an extra $300 from me?

I wouldn’t do it. 33k miles and your warranty won’t cover those anyway.
Like you suspect, he’s just looking to clean your wallet.

Air induction services? What? Change the air filter and say, that’ll be a 150 smackers?

Change dealership. Now that the warranty is running out, you won’t have any need to go there anyway. Only for warranty or recalls.

Find a good independent shop.

These are totally unnecessary services. Alas, many shops try to pull the same scam on all their customers. That’s what’s going around these days. Just say no.

And by all means, quit going to the dealer for routine service and maintenance. Use him only for warranty work, if it still applies.

That would be the Wallet Vac Service

Just another reason not to go to that dealer for service. Remember that you do need to have the services listed in the owner’s manual to keep the warranty in full force. However there is no need to have it done by that dealer, or any dealer for that matter.

Dealers are no better (or worse) than independent mechanics for almost anything you might need done on your car.  They will almost always charge more per hour and often more for parts and supplies.  They also tend to look at repairs a little different than the independent. 

I suggest that most people would be better off finding a good independent (Not working for a chain) mechanic.

You’d be hard pressed to find anything like that in your owners/maintenance manual. Corolla based cars are about as close to maintenance free as you can get…dealer sounds like he’s inventing something to get your money. That’s how most make their profits.