2004 Passat standard not shifting

I have a 2004 Passat standard v6 that I bought about a month ago. Yesterday while shifting, I couldn’t shift into 2nd gear after leaving a light. I now have to turn the car off and get it into a gear while it is off. But once it’s started, it won’t shift into any gear. Nothing is grinding, so I’m hoping it’s something as simple as a fuse. Any ideas? Thanks.

Check the fluid level in your clutch master cylinder. If it is low shifting is hard and you have a leak that needs to be repaired.

On a standard transmission, a fuse is not the source of a shifting problem.
Your problem could result from the need to change the transmission oil, or it could represent a problem with the synchronizers, or it could be a clutch problem, but is surely is not something as simple as a fuse.

If you’re able to put it into any gear without the engine running, but not able to put it into any gear with the engine running, the problem could be with the clutch master cylinder leaking internally.

If the seals in the clutch master cylinder are leaking, not enough hydraulic pressure is produced at the slave cylinder to disengage the clutch. So this would be like trying to shift the transmission without stepping on the clutch pedal.

Tester