2004 Nissan Maxima - Engine issues

2004 nissan maxima engine light comes on, jerks but goes good after it actually gets going, changed plugs ignition coil and now engine light is on again. Also doesn’t even show up on diagnostic system properly, just as misfire 5.

Welcome…
What is/are the code(s)??? P0305 or what do you mean doesn’t show up properly??

What are the miles on the vehicle?? Manual or Automatic??

If you have a misfire code, swap 2 plugs and 2 coil packs to see if the misfire follows, if not then check for damaged wiring, then run a compression test…

2 Likes

Try swapping the fuel injector from the cylinder with the misfire to another cylinder to see if the misfire moves with the injector.

Tester

1 Like

Good ideas above. Misfires often take some experimenting to find the cause. After the ideas above have been tried, including the compression test, if the problem continues you are welcome to post back w/your findings for more ideas.

That era of Maximas had problems with ignition coils. There are lots of posts all over the internet about it. I don’t know the outcome and the solution, but if you Google something as simple as Maxima 2004 coils you’ll have enough links to keep you busy for a while.

Me thinks this is another one and done poster…

I expect OP was just looking for ideas, got some here, and is relaying those to their mechanic. The OP’s hope of course is that someone here will say “replace such-and-such part, your problem will be solved”. Seldom works out that way, the path to the solution usually requires further testing.