2004 Mazda MPV Fuel Cap Issue?

I have a 2004 Mazda MPV. I am the original owner.

I have noticed over the last 6 months that the car starts to “chug” as if it is going to die and the service engine light comes on at very random times. I pull over, tighten the fuel cap (which was already tight), the car resumes normal drivability (is that a word?), and a quarter tank of gas later the service engine light goes off.

As I say, it is VERY random- it is not usually after I have put gas in the tank (I filled it a week ago, am down to a quarter tank and it started doing it this morning.)

The other thing I have noticed is that it usually happens when it rains.

Is it possible for the seal to break down on the fuel cap? What else might cause this?

It is just wierd…

A loose gas cap won’t cause the engine to chug and almost stall. What you should do is find a local auto parts store that will connect a code reader to the computer and pull the codes for free. The Check Engine light doesn’t need to be on for them to do this if they’re able to pull up history codes. That will explain what system is causing the Check Engine light to come on.

But from what you’re describing, and the relationship to wet weather, a code may come up indicating a problem with Mass Air Flow sensor circuit.

Tester