2004 Lexus RX 330 steering column

My 2004 Lexus RX330 continues to be super reliable and wonderful to drive. However, when I turn the key off, the steering column and steering wheel should move upward. Car cannot be locked without this. Usually, repeatedly turning the car on and off again will finally activate the steering wheel which means I can remove the key and lock the car. But with increasing frequency, the steering wheel does not move, resulting in an unlockable car. I have replaced the starter but found no improvement. My concern is the day that it won’t move at all. Any suggestions?

There is a switch on the ignition lock housing to detect if the key is in the ignition. If the key is in the ignition the doors can’t be locked. After the key is removed, the steering column will move to exit mode and the doors can be locked.

Something is sticking, the key-in switch or the link in the ignition lock cylinder. A technician will have to remove the ignition lock cylinder and inspect these parts.

Don’t switch on the ignition or start the engine, just slide the key in and out of the ignition until you see a reaction.

1 Like