2004 Lexus RX 330 - maintenance to prolong life

I have a 2004 Lexus RX 330 with around 220,000 miles. I’m wondering what maintenance I should have done to keep it going as long as possible. Thanks

Do the same things that got you to 220,000 miles. Unless you just bought this car… you don’t say.

What about that timing belt . . . ?!

I believe the replacement interval is 9yrs/105k, whichever comes first

Have you ever replaced the spark plugs?

How often have you serviced the automatic transmission fluid and filter?

1 Like

Is that for the passenger side engine mount?; i.e. supports front of v6 transverse oriented engine?

If so, that bolt missing and someone continued to drive car, it could have stressed the other mounts as well as the exhaust system, so suggest to ask shop to double check that all remains ok. Otherwise, the $1800 seems money well spent.

Appears there’s a slew of recalls and customer interest campaigns & bulletins, suggest to familiarize yourself w/those. Crankshaft pulley, brake master cylinder, seat belts , brake light switch, radiator, exhaust manifold, etc.

Yes, passenger side engine mount. I checked everything else and all seems fine…time will tell. And we settled on the Lexus due to it being A) in our price range B) size needed for our college student to transport the inordinate amount of stuff she deems as “necessary” and C) Toyotas are easy to work on and d) reliability. Yes I know they have problems…try and find one with 220k+ for $5,000 that doesnt right?

:slight_smile:

One other common Toyota thing to watch for - my ES300 had the starter solenoid contacts wear out, resulting in an odd no-start situation, power to everything, but nothing happened when I turned the key. Replacing the contacts solved it, or just replacing the starter would do the same.

2 Likes

Interesting. Thanks!

I’ve had the local auto-electric store do that for me. On most recent Corolla starter motor episode, I kept my prior Corolla starter motor rather than turning it in for the refund, oem part, & figured I’d replace the contacts in spare time and have another one ready to go. But having difficulty sourcing replacement contact sets. Auto elec store doesn’t sell parts. Ok, haven’t tried that hard to find a source. But any recommendations for a good vendor for Toyota starter motor replacement parts appreciated.

Toyo trans fluid is syn and costs same as parts store stuff. Not hard to go to dealer to buy it.

Have you tried Rock Auto?

1 Like

No need to use Toyota ATF, use Valvoline Maxlife, has worked fine in my Toyota and other cars. You need to do the drain and fill at least three times to refresh most of the ATF.
I think this car might not have a rearview camera and bluetooth. In that case, it can be DIY installed for relatively low price. Crutchfield has the better support system. Newer drivers can benefit from these luxury items.

I’ve checked there in the past, nothing. But just checked again, now they have a repair kit which contains the flat copper contacts, but not the long mushroom shaped gadget, reasonable price, $18. But just replacing those contacts, cleaning up the mushroom gadget’s contact surface, not sure how well that would work long-term. Notice also they now have a solenoid replacement kit, which presumably contains new flat contacts, as well as a new mushroom gadget. But that’s close to $90. A new AC-Delco starter motor from RA is only $80.

If OP is following this discussion, probably doesn’t apply for a 2004. Starter motor design was changed by then.

You’re right, it doesn’t apply to the 2004. I, too, wonder why they don’t include the round contact in the kit. I replaced the flat contacts after about 100k, then it had the same problem at 150k, I bet it would have gone to 200k if they had both contacts available.

1 Like

The OP made one post Nov. 2019 and has not been back . It was revived by someone who also posted links that might be Spam .