2004 Honda Pilot

This Honda Pilot has been an excellent vehicle. Today it has 77,000 miles on it.

Recently, while driving to work the VTM-4 and engine light came on. When I got to work, I read the manual and it said I had a problem with the 4 wheel drive and the engine. I call the dealer and they said to bring it in for service. When doing a diagnostic check code P0301 came up indicating a misfire on CYl 1 which is next to the EGR Value. MisFire was caused by a clogged EGR value. The Value was replace and the ports of carbon deposits were cleaned. To prevent this problem, I was told that I should have been using only Chevron, Texaco, or Shell gas that had an additive Techron that helps clean these ports. I could just buy the Techron and add to my gas. Have you ever heard of this? I have had several vehicles and have never had this problem. This problem cost me $379.41.

It may be new but don’t neglect to check it over thoroughly for scratches, tiny dents, etc. Tire brand and sizes/tread the same. Well, you get the idea.

Crouch down and sight along both sides to check for abnormalities. (possible doors or hood/trunk misalignment)

I’m not saying the dealer is going to try something, just that they could miss defects too.

Enjoy!

I think our friend Roadrunner has run off the road! (Or perhaps he thought he was answering another post.)

Dealers often come up with all sorts of fanciful notions as to the cause of car problems. But surprise, surprise! Honda apparently agrees with your dealer and recommends the use of so-called top tier gasoline. Alternately, you can add an occasional bottle of Techron to the tank.

Techron to prevent carbonizing of the EGR passages?! How? Is the reasoning that the fuel injectors will spray a better fuel spray pattern, thus, less carbon production in the exhaust gases?
The P0301 (misfire) in #1 cylinder ocurred because the EGR valve is located near #1 cylinder? Is that Honda maker’s/Honda dealer’s claim? For me, this claim bears scrutiny.
Just a FYI: some people clean their EGR valve, rather than replace it.
Was the “repair” of replacing the EGR valve adequate to prevent a recurrance? This one wonders.