2004 Honda Accord EX Mileage

We are not getting great mileage anymore on our 2004 Accord EX. We are thinking it could be the Air Filter. Does anyone know from experience if this will help and how difficult it is to do? Also, where is the damned thing located? About how much will it cost to have it done? We are located in suburban Atlanta.

When was it last changed? My cars get changed every 20K miles. Since you don’t say how many miles on the Accord, if it has never been changed, then it is time. Your owner’s manual should give you some clues or answers to where it is. I have never owned a Honda, so I wouldn’t venture a guess on either cost or location. Good luck…

I would be very surprised if your Owner’s Manual did not have a graphic showing the location of the filter as well as the procedure for opening the filter box. Have you looked at the Owner’s Manual?

As to the cost, an independent parts retailer would probably be cheaper than the Honda dealership, so you might want to call your nearest Autozone or NAPA or…other parts store. While I can’t give you the exact price of the filter, I can pretty much guarantee that the cost of the air filter will be much less than the price of a tank of gas, if that is any consolation.

The other thought that comes to mind is that, if your air filter is ready for replacement, you might not be up to date on all of the other maintenance procedures either–and failure to perform spark plug replacement or some other maintenance procedures could be negatively impacting your gas mileage just as much as a dirty air filter.

While you are perusing the manual for the air filter replacement procedure, you might want to look at the maintenance charts that are in there as well, and compare them to your service invoices. (You DID save the invoices, I assume!) Remember, regular maintenance is far cheaper in the long run than the repairs that will result from poor maintenance.

There’s a good possibility you may need your oxygen sensor replaced. I had a Honda Civic that showed a marked decline in gas mileage. It went back to normal when I had this sensor replaced. I didn’t get a “code” showing that it needed replacing but that was indeed the issue. It’s a fairly expensive part (small as it is) so you wouldn’t want to get it replaced if it’s not defective. Maybe someone else could wade in on this with some advise on how to approach the problem.

Even if its not due to the filter, it should be replaced. If i were you, i’d spend a bit more to get what they call a hi-flow filter, such as a K&N or Fram. An OEM would be between $8-$15, the ones i mentioned, $30-$45 (but they last a lifetime). Look in the front part of your engine bay. There should be a rather large black box. Doesn’t need to be perfecly square… In this compartment, you will find the ait filter. it should have some tubing that would connect it to the engine. there are some clips or bolts that hold two halves of the box together. Some of them may be hidden from plain view. Undo those and the rest of the procedure should be logical. Best of luck.

I would not recommend a K&N air filter. While there is some evidence of possible engine damage, I also believe that is also small, except for cars with MAFs Just a little too much oil on the filter and by by MAF. If you are careful and do a good job, then chances are you will not damage anything, but then again, there is little or nothing to gain since the OEM filters do a good job and there is little or no room in a stock engine for improvement over the OEM filter.

If the filter is past due for replacement, it could reduce mileage and reduce power. Don’t skimp on maintenance, it is more expensive that way than doing it right.

Hondas have very restrictive air-boxes and in-flow to the engine. Never heard of engine damage though-however as with anything you do, even crossing a crosswalk when the green man is lit could still end in disaster.

there is nothing wrong with K&N filters if you are compentent and can follow directions. I’ve used them for years in my mustang and bronco. If you follow the cleaning directions you will not damage the MAF sensor. People who claim that they ruin sensors overoil them when cleaning them.

“there is nothing wrong with K&N filters if you are compentent and can follow directions.”

FoDaddy–Read the original posting and see if you think that the OP is likely to be able to handle the installation and the maintenance of a K & N filter. If someone doesn’t even know where the existing air filter is located, I highly doubt that he/she has either the mechanical aptitude or the interest in installing and properly maintaining a K & N filter.

Everyone, please understand that I am not criticizing the OP’s apparent lack of mechanical aptitude. I am merely stating that this person is not a good candidate for doing anything under the hood, based on the question that he/she posed to us.