2004 Dodge Intrepid Belts

I have a 2004 Intrepid… and I’m broke. I have an intermediate knowledge of repair. This car has 2 serpentine belts that both go around the crankshaft pulley for power, one in front of the other. Today, the smaller belt shredded off, probly due to a bad tensioner pulley. The smaller belt only goes around the crankshaft pulley, tensioner pulley, and A/C. Long story short, is it ok to drive back and forth to work for 3 more days without the secondary A/C belt before I replace it?

BTW it has the 2.7L.

Should be fine, assuming you’ve correctly ID’d the A/C the only thing powered by that belt.

However, the pulley on the A/C should have been freewheeling unless you were using the A/C at the time. If you were not using the A/C, that belt would only be under tension if the A/C clutch was also bad, so you probably should have that checked before slapping on a new belt.

If the belt only drives the AC compressor, you can drive it forever without the belt. But you won’t have AC.

Tester

Thats what I was thinking. I’m mainly concerned about the crankshaft getting pulled out of place with only the one belt.

I Believe The Car Has Only 1 Serpentine Belt. The Broken A-C Belt Is A V-Belt.

Renew both belts if the serpentine belt has not been replaced in recent history.

CSA